Chapter Sixty One

Start from the beginning

"I should be thanking you." I choked, burying my head in her shoulder. "You and Avander gave me what I always wanted; a family. No one has ever loved and cared for me as you two did. Thank you Joan. I'll never forget either of you."

How could I, after all that has happened, after all they have done for me? I did not deserve any of it, any of the love. Not after I stood by and let Joan fight Satan on her own, not after I let Avander die. But despite the shame and the pain, deep down the Godling part of me whispered it was all for the best, that it was how fate had willed it to be.

Avander's dead, but his death had a reason. I told myself. You know what the alternative was, if he had lived. You know this was the only way to make sure he too got the happy ending he deserved.His last acts of sacrifice  will ensure his redemption.

I pulled myself away, unable to take anymore. Taking my seat by the pool, I motioned Joan to begin the sealing, mopping up my leaky eyes as I went. Joan too looked downcast, but she nodded nevertheless, holding up her hands once more.

The sealing began, the familiar rush of power coursing through. The pain and sorrow of the moment deepened with every second, my time in this world drawing to an end.

The flickering symbols appeared, circling and wrapping around me. Joan's eyes were shut and brow frowned in concentration. But the tears flowed freely and I had to fight hard to keep my emotions at bay, to keep back the urge to interrupt the sealing. A part of me wished we would fail this time too, so that I would have more time to stay with Joan. I could not, for it would only bring disaster. I would render the sacrifices everyone, especially Avander had made useless. I owed him a hero's death. He had done so much. I would honor him, and make sure his wish was fulfilled.

Joan's chanting ceased and she released all of her gathered energy. It flowed from her fingers like ribbons, sparks and glows filling the inner ward. They surrounded me, lifting me up into the air and making my whole body glow. Golden manacles formed around my wrists and ankles, trailing chains from the depths of the pool. I accepted them willingly, spreading my wings wide. It was time. There would be no escape for me now.

As the chains began to pull me back, I frantically reached forward and gripped Joan hands. She stared at me in surprise and I could see the grief she was trying to contain. With my sealing complete, Joan would now be alone.

No. She will not. I told myself. With only seconds left, I made sure Joan would not descend on the path of despair again.

"Listen to me Joan." I told her urgently, feeling the chains tug. "You are not alone, you are never alone. There will always be those who love you. I love you. Avander loves you. I promise Joan, you will never be alone again. You will see Avander someday."

I released her and the chains pulled me back, dragging me to the edge of the pool. Joan, initially startled, reached forward to try and grasp my hand. My fingers slid through hers.

"Heidi!" She cried.
"Good bye Joan! Thank you for being the family I always wanted." I cried,  just as the rumbling began. Wall shook and stalactites rained down. The sanctuary was beginning to disappear.

Like all other foreign presence in the Sanctuary, Joan was beginning to fade, her feet and legs a stroke of gradient. She shimmered as she gazed after me one last time the tears shining like diamonds. She called my name one last time, her voice feeble. She waved at me and then she was gone.

I let the chains pull me back into the pool, leaning over and slipping in, the crystalline waters rising around me. I lay back, hands folding over my chest and hair fanning out in the water. The walls continued to tremble, but something extraordinary was happening. As though an invisible hand had begun painting, pictures scrawled themselves onto the walls. Faces and events I was all too familiar with appeared before my eyes. But what caught my attention more as the painting on the ceiling above me, colours bursting into life in what had once been darkness. A white haired woman and a dark haired man etched themselves into the stone, standing close together, hands entwined.

The grief and remorse lifted, replaced by pure joy. With a final, contented smile I closed my eyes and sank beneath the surface.

***

She watched the snow shift and cascade down the mountainside, the distance rumbling warning all to stay away. The small, speck like shapes of both angels and demons dotted the mountainside and air. Successively flashes of light spelled the retreat of the demon army, none of them interested in fighting anymore. The triumphant First Faction soared overhead, lighting up the sky with a dazzling display of light, signalling to all far and wide that they were victorious.

Joan however could not bring herself to celebrate. Her gaze was stuck to the sight of the slowly sinking Sanctuary. Rock and snow rose around the great building and towers shrank to half their original size. The sacred castle gave a final rumble, as though bidding farewell to the world. It was then swallowed up whole by the earth, taking Heidi and all the day's memories with it.

Silence enveloped the valley. The mountainside stood innocent and undisturbed. Feeling her knees buckle, Joan sank to her knees, warm tears splashing against her cold hands. Her fists dug and beat against the powdery snow, all feelings being pumped into the single action. When it was not enough, she threw her head back and screamed.

She poured every last drop of emotion into her scream, eager to have it all out of her system. All her burning anger, the bitter pain and the sour taste of a not so victorious victory. She screamed and screamed until she had no breath left in her. The mountains drank it all in, as though in hopes of warming their bellies and thawing their bodies. It proved futile, for the air remained icy and the mountains remained cold and hostile as ever.