Chapter Three

Alyssa

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."

"Hey sweetie." My mom panted on roller skates, her work uniform was seventies themed - it looked absolutely ridiculous. The blonde curly haired wig on top of her head, the layers of makeup and the pink and white Dorothy-like costume fit with it. I closed the diner door behind me as the bronze bell dinged loudly over my head.

"Hi mom." I muttered, walking over to an empty stall by a window tossing my book bag on the torn red leather seats. I sat down sinking into the seat, a heavy sigh left my lips as I grabbed the yellow menu in front of me.

The sound of my moms roller skates alerted me of her presence. "How was school sweetheart?" She asked lowly, still trying to catch her breath.

"Fine mom." I answered without looking up, my stomach grumbled as my eyes scanned over the delicious choices on the menu.

You don't want get any more fat than you already are.

I dropped the menu immediately, there was no time to eat anyway. I pulled myself out of the seat. "Did you get the car fixed?" I asked her.

"A man at the mechanics store is having a look at it, it might cost a fortune so I'll have to work extra shifts." She sighed irritatingly.

I was frustrated at myself, I wanted to work too so I could help out but I don't exactly have any work experience. "Can I have some bus money so I can pick Calder up?" I asked avoiding her eyes.

"I don't have any change sweetheart, your going to have to walk." She said apologetically, I dropped my hand in annoyance. "I'll be home by nine tonight so your going to have to make your own dinner." She said, skating away behind the counter.

I grabbed my book bag angrily, stomping out of the diner with an angry sigh. I suddenly felt guilty for my bratty behaviour - my mom has a lot to deal with and I have no right to make a fuss. I wanted to run back and apologise but I was afraid of being rejected, I could barely look her in the eye without feeling nervous.

The walk was long, eventually after thirty-minutes I made it to the preschool. Calder sat patiently on a brown bench just outside, he was always well behaved when it came to waiting. I ran across the road quickly, looking at him with a smile. "Hey bud." I smiled, kneeling down and holding my arms out.

Calder giggled - grabbing his lunchbox and running straight to me excitedly. After a couple of seconds I placed him on his feet and took his tiny hand in mine. "Let's go home."

By now my feet ached as I carried a babbling Calder on my back, we were about two blocks away from home. I puffed out small breaths of air, distracting myself from the burning sensation in my calves and thighs. "Aah!" Calder tugged on my hair with a tight grip as I winced in pain.

The house came into full view as I trudged along the stony footpath with a bouncing Calder. He clapped in pure glee pushing himself off of my back, making a run for it to the front door. I chuckled watching him kick over the plastic flower pot and pick up the house key, his little arms barely reached the door handle.

I walked behind him, picking him up as he unlocked the door with ease. "Run inside and pull out your finger painting okay?" I instructed him, earning a toothy grin and a nod. I kicked off my shoes, sitting down on the sofa in the lounge. Rubbing my sore feet with both hands, I sighed in delight as they muscles relaxed.

Calder was a smart kid, he knew what people were talking about yet he didn't know how to communicate himself - though I truly do believe he will when he's ready. Over the years mom would take him to see a speech therapist in hopes of curing his speech impediment. I grew attached to him every day, we were both similar in a different way.

I could hear his little footsteps as he ran down the stairs, a white piece of paper in one hand. He sprinted over and sat on my lap, grinning widely as he showed me his finger painting. "Good job Cal." I praised, lifting him up and walking into the kitchen placing the paper on the fridge with a little smiley face magnet.

"There, now mommy and daddy can see what you drew. Isn't that great?" I cooed excitedly, tickling his tummy as he spluttered out laughs.

I stopped as he began to catch his breath. "Now, let's see what there is to eat." I put him down at the dining table.

Rummaging through the fridge I could only find a half eaten sandwich, a yoghurt and some juice. There was barely any food in the fridge, it was always like that. When mom and Stephen were living together it was like that, Stephen always blamed me for the lack of food due to my weight. Mom threw him out after he had called me fat one too many times, she rarely took my side though.

With a shake of my head I pulled out the yoghurt and a spoon, giving it to Calder who sat absentmindedly at the table. I glanced at my watch seeing that it was almost time for Calder to leave.

Right on queue the door opened followed by a shout of alert; Stephen. I walked over to the table keeping my eyes on Calder as I sat down next to him, wiping the corners of his mouth with his bib. "I'm here, where's your mom?" Stephen asked through the doorway.

"Work." I answered simply without looking at him, but rather keeping my eyes on Calder.

"When's she coming back?" His voice drew closer, as my anxiety grew.

"Stay there." I whispered warningly, but loud enough for him to hear. My heart pounded through my ears as my breaths came out uneven, Stephens footsteps retreated little at a time, I managed to calm down.

I paused. "Mom will be back tonight."

"Did she leave you any money? For food?" He asked almost worriedly.

"No, I'll just have to come up with something, or go without." I answered quietly, standing up abruptly as I took Calder's empty yoghurt container into the kitchen and tossed it into the trash compartment.

I heard his footsteps behind me grow closer until they stopped, his hand slapped gently onto the bench behind me making me turn with a raised eyebrow. "Take this, buy you some pizza or something." He picked up Calder and walked out the door.

My eyes scanned the hundred dollar bill just sitting there, I walked over staring at it with confusion. Where did he get money? Why is he giving me the money?

I didn't question it further, I wanted to go grocery shopping before mom got home. Immediately I was out the door breaking into a happy sprint - a smile on my face. Almost like a Charlie bucket moment.

My smile was wiped clean off of my face as I caught a glimpse of Kelly just at the end of the street, loud hoots and whistles came from the alight house that I knew belonged to a guy in my home economics class; Ajax Butler. My heart pounded in my chest rapidly, there was no other available route for me to take. Unfortunately the end of the street was the only way I could get to the main road.

I looked back at my house with a desperate look, my stomach grumbled loudly as I refrained from hiding it. "Move porky!" I was knocked to the ground by a guy on a skateboard, his hair was crafted into a blue green and pink mohawk.

My chin hit the sidewalk, my teeth crushed together painfully though not enough to cause damage to them. I groaned loudly as I revoked the right to cry here pathetically, instead I stood up slowly - walking back home as the pain in my mouth increased every time I moved my jaw around.

The little amount of blood gurgled in my mouth and chin, slowly seeping down onto my hands and shirt. The red drops stained my shirt, I wanted to go over their so badly. I burst through the unlocked door with a fast pace, cupping my chin gently. I knew tomorrow I would probably get worse.