Chapter Two

Alyssa

Once lunchtime rolled around, I walked quickly toward the exit with intentions to eat outside of the school grounds. As I reached the door, a manicured hand shot out and grabbed my arm. I flinched involuntarily, coming to an immediate halt.

"Hey Alyssa!" The blonde girl from this morning said in a chipper voice and a big smile, how does she know my name?. "I was wondering if you were coming to tonight's pep rally?! We're having a little celebration for the first day of school and I would love it if everyone could make it, so what'd you say? Will you come?" She asked excitedly. I don't know what to say? Is it trick? It's probably a trick. If I say no will she cry? Immediately I nodded with a smile; not having the heart to say no, she squealed and jumped before she pulled me into a tight hug.

Her stick like body managed to crush mine to hers, I froze unintentionally but as fast as the hug came it disappeared. "Bye!" She waved, running down the hall. What if it's a trick? I continued to doubt my decision until I came up with a possible solution, it's a trick. There's no way she would invite me to a school event.

I pushed through the closed doors, practically running out the front gates. I pushed away any hope of making a friend, there was no way that would happen - everyone knew better than to hang out with the likes of me. Instantly I felt overwhelmed with sadness, blinking back the tears I walked quickly through the streets.

I swallowed the small lump in my throat and willed myself not to allow the tears to fall, I'd been through far worse than abandonment from my peers. It hurt when their jibes cut, it frustrated me to my core.

I felt instant relief as I trudged down to the little field just a couple of blocks away from school, it was just a plain field that held no home for anything. I took a shaky breath and smiled, dropping to my knees as my bare one was met with soft patches of grass. I'd prefer to cry here than in the presence of those tools.

With a shaky sigh, I lifted my sleeve up and rolled the tattered band off of my wrist, the inscription on the inside read 'Ignore them, their words may scar you. But scars are a sign of battle, a battle that you have already won.' As lame as it sounds, it was helpful. Tears cascaded down my cheeks as I let out small cries, not even attempting to cover them up. This field was a beckon that set my emotions off, leaving me to release whenever I needed to.

"Hey." I jumped in surprise, a small shriek left my lips at the unexpected voice.

I turned around to see a guy standing behind me, my hand cupped over my brows as I tipped my head back in an attempt to get a better view. The unknown man stood at least a foot taller than I, his messy brown hair blew across his forehead. The sparkling green pointed eyes stared down at me curiously. He was handsome, hot even.

"Were you crying?" He asked, scanning my face. I shook my head, and he arched an eyebrow. "Yes you were, I can see the streaks on your cheeks." He bent down, his knees clicked as he fell back bottom first onto the grass next to me. "Can you talk?" He asked hesitantly, almost like he was afraid of crossing the line.

I nodded, tangling my fingers together as I tried to keep my cool. "Yes I can talk, I just prefer not to." I answered in a small voice.

"Well I happen to be a massive talker, so your gonna have your hands full." He said triumphantly, the thought of finally having a friend was exciting to me. But I had to come to terms with the reality of the situation, there was no way he would want to be friends with me.

"You speak as if we are going to see each other again." I grumbled in return, looking anywhere but him.

He gave a mock-exasperated sigh, his eyes tightened a little. "Trust me, we will be speaking a lot more." He folded his arms over his chest, looking at me challengingly.

"I don't even know you, how do I know your not an axe murderer claiming me as your next victim?" I whispered, a little freaked out that my statement may end up being true. I had no idea where all this confidence was coming from.

"Oh you would know, and besides its not like I have anything better to do." He shrugged, leaning back as his legs stretched out in front of him - flattening his hands on either side of him.

"So if a better situation came along you would rather that than talk to me?" I retorted with a deep frown on my face, the conversation was the longest I've ever had.

"Not gonna happen." He shook his head. Right on queue an unknown girl stopped by with a grin.

"Babe!" She called from across the field.

Wow, babe?

He looked down mumbling something under his breath, I couldn't hear what he'd said. "Babe! Where did you go? I was looking everywhere for you!" The girl panted tiredly, her blonde hair splayed across her shoulders as she looked down at him frustrated.

"Look Stacey I was just going for a walk okay? I told you not to follow me - what are you doing here?" He said with a slice of annoyance.

I jumped to my feet grabbing my book bag as I swung it over my shoulder, walking away fast as I wanted to keep away from confrontation. "Well of course I was going to follow you! Your my boyfriend! Who the hell is that anyway? What, your gonna hang out with other girls? If your gonna cheat on me - cheat with someone pretty and thin!" She shouted with a nasally voice. Her comment made me feel even more insecure, I decided to leave by example in hopes that my bravery would show.

"You shut your fucking mouth!" I heard him yell, causing an abrupt silence as the nasally voiced girl had finally shut her trap. Though my footsteps grew fast as I gunned it down the street not once looking back, I could hear the bell ring from a close distance. I almost smiled in relief as soon as saw the front gates ahead of me, my happiness was cut short as I caught sight of a few footballers and Kelly's posse.

I was quick enough to pass by without their knowledge, though I knew that they were already talking about me. A few people laughed as I passed them, watching a look of disgust cross their faces. "Who does she think she is?" One scoffed.

My steps grew faster - ducking my head down as I ran toward my next class. Why did I have to be so afraid? Why couldn't things go my way just this once?