Chapter Thirteen

Alyssa

"How long doctor?" The sniffling didn't ease no matter how much she was being comforted, I was forced to lay here in pain. My mom had barged in the hospital like a mad woman, she had a few words for the poor staff members who denied her entry. But seeing her here now, made me realise how worried she must've been.

The doctor refrained from rolling his eyes at my mother's repetitive question. "Ma'am we have done all we can for now, until then I would like you to fill out this form regarding your daughters situation." He said formally, handing her the document.

She scoffed, her cheeks stained with tears - her skin red from rubbing her face. "Her situation? My daughter was beaten by a little tart! I want to press charges, she can't possibly get away with this. It's simply unacceptable!" 

I could tell she wasn't just upset with this incident, but the previous ones also. "Ma'am I need you to calm down, I'm afraid if you continue to disturb my patients you will be forced to leave the premises." He snapped impatiently, his dark fringe flopped lazily over his glasses.

My mother had a way of driving people up the wall, seeing his disheveled state didn't surprise me. My eyes locked on Mom, her clothes had little mustard and ketchup stains. I could tell she had come straight from work. I groaned quietly as I moved my arm slightly, my wrist felt bare and naked. I almost cried when I saw the lighter skin tone that had been covered up previously.

"I want them arrested and thrown in a cell, throw away the fucking key while your at it!" Her cursing had made me flinch, Mom had only been this mad when it was Stephen driving her nuts.

"Mom?" I grated quietly, my fingers gently grasped the dirty apron around her waist. Her blonde mop of hair twisted with her head, the action fast and quick. She gently grabbed my hand in hers, cooing softly as I sobbed quietly. My eyes latched on my wrist as an oncoming panic attack threatened to start, she couldn't hold it in any longer.

Our sobs matched, hers louder than mine. She sat on the bed next to me, running a hand through my rough hair - the action had caught me slightly off guard. "Oh honey, I'm so sorry." She wept, clutching my wrist to her chest, leaving a small kiss on the damaged skin.

In my heart I knew she wasn't just apologising for what happened today, but what happened all those years ago too.

********

Noah

My foot tapped harshly against the tiled floor, the nerves in my stomach had done nothing to ease the tension that was practically rolling off of me. It didn't help that a certain pest in the form of a ten year old girl was jabbering on about new bicycle she got yesterday from her rich daddy - my heart hasn't settled since Alyssa was admitted here, in fact it's gone into overdrive.

"Why are you here?" The pigtailed girl asked, her voice so high and sweet - though I could sense a hint of mischief in there too. "My daddy owns this hospital, he's the boss. He gets me heaps of toys and candy - but that's only if I'm good. Where's your daddy? Does he have a hospital too? I bet my daddy is richer than yours." 

I groaned loudly, covering my ears as her voice seemed to be running annoying little circles around me. I really wanted to stab myself with something, anything to get her away from me.

"Molly darling, get over here please." The male voice who I'm assuming belonged to her father. I let out a breath I had no idea I was holding, she jumped down quickly without looking back at me.

The man in front of me had taken me a bit of time to recognise, I jumped to my feet preparing to bombard him with questions, though the small smile on his face made me pause. He had been the one to take her away for an examination, my mind wandered numerous possibilities.

"How is she doctor?" The worry seeped through my voice, I knew that made him soften immediately.

He ran a hand through his hair, taking off his glasses as the tiny she-devil below him whined. "Ah yes, you were the young man here with Miss Scott."

"Yes, how is she?" 

"I'm afraid I can't disclose that information with you, but feel free to buy something from the canteen just that way." He thinned his lips, taking a hold of his daughter's hand - brushing me off. The action had me pissed off, no way was I leaving without seeing her, she might need me.

I grabbed his arm, attempting to loosen my grip a little. The anger rushing back to me, I didn't want to hurt him but I was so close to blowing a casket right now. "Please sir, I need to know if she's okay. At least tell me if she's awake and alright. It'll at least give me a piece of mind not to worry."

He sighed irritably, my eyes held back the desperate need to roll at him. Now I knew where the little twerp got her attitude from. "Look Mr, I told you I can't tell you anyth-"

"Noah! Noah my boy come here." I heard the familiar voice of Mrs Scott bellowing from the hallway. My heart stood still for a second, the familiar need returning instantly.

I dodged past the two imbeciles, resisting the urge to glare at them. No way was I going to do something idiotic and end up on my arse out in the parking lot. Mrs Scott smiled with encouragement, on seeing my face I would assume I looked a little out of sorts.

She patted my back as I opened the door quietly, her small frame was so noticeably damaged. The sight made me sick, not her personally - but her injuries. Her beautiful skin had been marred with terrible purple and blue marks. Something that should never ever be there, my blood boiled as I thought of how they got there.

Mrs Scott didn't say anything for a bit, her heart must be so broken at the sight of her precious daughter. No parent wants to see there child like this, I most certainly don't. I took slow steps toward the little chair next to her bedside, looking back at Mrs Scott as she nodded in return.

"She's not much of a talker - Alyssa. So you can imagine my surprise when I found you in my kitchen." Her voice had been a tiny bit louder than a whisper, my eyes remained attached to Alyssa as she let out a small snore.

I chuckled at the same time as her mother. "She's been through alot you know? I haven't exactly been there for her, but it doesn't make me a bad parent." I knew her statement was more of a reassurance for herself, I couldn't help but feel remorseful for her.

The small tears ran gently down her cheek. "She never did recover." She whispered, my brows furrowed in confusion as she left the room quietly. I looked down at the pale beauty, my hand reached for hers - our warm temperatures combined. Her lips parted as she let out short breaths now and then, I wanted to reach out and run my thumb along her cheek.

Though my mind was elsewhere, the lingering question in my head had become a small reminder for later.

Recover from what?