18. San Francisco - London

Chapter Eighteen

San Francisco - London

"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it." The Lion King - Ellis

San Francisco, Alcatraz, 4.40pm, September 3rd

Ellis

We've been walking around Alcatraz for over an hour now and even though Jessie slipped up on the boat ride over, when she asked if she could have the seat closer to the water, she's still not talking.

I've had grunts and grumbles and now half smiles, to nod that she wants to go stop for food or to explore the complex of cells.

I keep asking questions, ever since I failed at keeping quiet myself. Leaving notes all the time was getting tiresome and felt childish. And I get that she has every right to still be mad or not talk but we're heading into last of days territory and I'd hate for it to end like this.

When we're alone near the graffitied water tower, I try to show her that in spite of the silence, I'm still enjoying her company.

But she's having none of it. Politely she just smiles when I tell her that they filmed the famous Clinton Eastwood film, Escape From Alcatraz here, though her lips hint that say wants to say 'well duh' but she doesn't.

Later, I try to engage in conversation with her on the BART bus, back to the travelodge but again there's too many people around for me to really go all in.

Halfway home, down Lombard St, I loose patience. "You're going to have to talk at some point. It's coming across as rude to everyone else, you know."

She rolls her eyes and keeps walking.

When we come to the travelodge parking lot entrance she carries on. Not bothering to stop.

"Where are you going?"

Her shoulders rise then fall and she taps her foot on the pavement. "For a walk."

I breathe a sigh of relief at hearing her voice, finally but then life goes back to feeling shitty. "Please don't just walk way."

"I don't want to go back to the hotel just yet."

I hurry to catch up with her, mimicking her large strides. "Do you want to go get some food? Are you hungry? I'm hungry. Maybe we can go get a burger from Mel's dinner or check out the pizza place near Chestnut Street? " I am really trying. And I'm really breathless as I struggle to keep up.

"I appreciate the enthusiasm Ellis, I do but I just need sometime alone," she says, "to clear my head. I'm sure you understand that."

I give up on the walking. "I'm at my wits end here Jessie."

She stops at the lights on red and presses the button. We've probably got about thirty-five seconds until she'll have to make the choice to cross over or stay and talk to me.

"Can we just have one day without talking about it?"

"But thats just not possible. That doesn't mean it won't go away."

"I just don't want to be reminded. And right now, every time you talk or I look at you I'm reminded of New York and Miami and Austin, and back home. And those good memories are slowly being twisted and it's beginning to really hurt Ellis." Her eyes narrow and for the first time it feels like she's talking to me. Not at me or down to me.