5. Miami Beach

Chapter Five

Miami Beach

"But on the sneak, Miami bringing heat for real, y'all don't understand."  Will Smith - Jessie

Miami Beach, Century South Beach Hotel, August 7th

Jessie

"Oh darling, that's a rather unfair surprise but you were prepared for it eventually, right? If not I packed an extra box for you. In case."

"You did? Where?"

My mum pauses for a moment, then continues. "Left hand side of your case, in the small zip compartment where your hand sanitiser and bottle of Savlon should be."

I nod, even though she can't see me and I tell her that I'm really grateful, but have to go because it's costing a fortune to call her. "Ring you in a couple of days. Say hi to Dad and Daniel for me."

As I pace back into our room, Ellis's eyes bug out like he's surprised to see me upright and walking. Because waking up on a sun lounger, with kids splashing at my feet was surprise enough. Waking up to my period come five days early was just cruel.

And right now, it's in a vengeful state and has been giving me hell all damn morning. 

"You want me to get anything for you?" Ellis offers, looking every bit as helpless as he can only be in this situation. 

I tuck a handful of tampons into my small satchel and shrug, "A different uterus? One that preferably isn't trying to murder me from within?"

"Might take me a while," he says with a broad smirk, "I'm not sure what the black market for uterus's is like here in Miami but I'm willing to give it try."

I laugh into my hand until the cramps de-rail me again. "Thank you, I appreciate that." To be fair to Ellis, he's handling this a hell of a lot better than all the guys at school or college who greet the sight of tampons and the girls that need them with either a) repulsion and disgust or b) childish sneers and insults. 

When we're set and ready to venture out into a brave new world - Miami Beach - for the first time, I notice that he stuffs a few tampons into the side of his backpack and a packet of Paracetamols before checking all the lights are off and our passports in the safe. 

And though I am beginning to feel a bit dizzy from blood loss and the humidity, and lack of breakfast, I do have the energy to hug him for doing so and to let him know that there's a tampon poking out his backpack still, visible for all too see as we leave the hotel. 

He doesn't even give it a second glance. 

Miami Beach, Cameo Theatre, Washington Ave - August 9th

"Can we please go get a drink on the way back or an ice cream or go drown ourselves in the ocean, because it's so hot right now."

Ellis gives me the eyebrows and continues to take pictures of the Cameo Theatre on his newly purchased iPhone 4. 

I know I sound whiney but we've been out since early morning and we've ticked off most of the filming locations for Ellis's fourth favourite film - Ace Venture: Pet Detective. I'd say it's about time we do something for me, which I hope involves food and giving my feet a proper rest.