11. Las Vegas Part II

Chapter Eleven

Las Vegas

"And laughing eyes and simple ways. And quiet nights and gentle days with you."  Elvis Presley- Jessie

Las Vegas, Fremont Experience, 11.25pm - August 19th

Jessie

Ellis links his arm in mine as we make our way through the sprawling LED canopy and 24-hour mall that is the Fremont Experience. When he looks up his eyes are wide and hypnotised. Earlier, he'd been gawking at a woman dressed in patent PVC boots and nipple tassels, posing for pictures with tourists.

"Quite the experience," he quietly jokes as a chorus of people zip line over us, just another attraction that is flashy and over the top and wild.

I kind of love it.

"Did you know this is where Elvis Presley filmed the opening credits for Viva Las Vegas? And where the chase scene from James Bond's Diamonds Are Forever was shot?"

"I did not but now I do," I say as another group decked out in harnesses and hard hats whizz over us in sync with the loud music.

"It's pretty awesome."

We stop outside the glitzy Golden Nugget and Ellis pops open another button on his shirt.

"I like that shirt on you," I say eyeing him up. Again, my breath catches just like it did back at the hotel when he emerged from the bathroom in something other than flannel or board shorts. And despite the humidity, his hair is still half slicked back and he hasn't wrapped the shirt round his waist. Yet.

Ellis smiles and pretends to courtesy, "Thank you. And you don't look to bad yourself."

"Cheers."

"No really, you look amazing Jessie. That colour suits you." His gaze trails over the red poppy sundress I picked up at an outlet mall not far from our hotel. I thought I'd make the effort to dress up seeing as we have someplace to go for our last night in Vegas. With time to gamble now that we can be sure we won't starve or need the money for an emergencies.

My blush must match the shade of my dress as I nudge him away. "I'm flattered." My head feels like it's spinning. And not just from the two jack and cokes I sunk at the last casino or from the fact that being here is like being trapped in a light bulb - a constant, otherworldly penetrating buzz. No, it's because Ellis has given me a compliment and it actually seems genuine, not just some jokey comment.

"What would you like to do in the hour we've got left before we have to catch the bus back to the strip?" He flashes a glimpse of the fifty dollar note in his jean pocket that he's been saving for tonight. It might not be much in comparison to the high stakes rollers but we're excited to see how far it'll go.

Maybe we'll be tonights flashing lights, ringing jackpot winners and we'll be able to sack off University and travel until our hearts are content.

"I have a twenty somewhere in my bag," I say, shoving my hand deep inside. "We could go hit the slot machines, you know the cheaper ones?"

"You're on," Ellis says with a wide grin. A strand of dark hair falls forwards and I brush it away.

"Maybe tonights our lucky night, though they do say the house always wins."