29 | Fulfilling Fate

*

I'm shoved to my knees, my back is cold and the air around me shivers in an angry tsunami. My dress was the only delicate thing that calmed me down besides Raul's persuasion. I stared at it, blocking out any commotion that may be dispersed around me: Oliver's struggling to get to me, Laurence trying to talk Christina out of killing me, and Christina holding her dagger to my neck.

Raul was bent down beside me; his knees surrounding me and his thighs keeping me centered. His warmth became suddenly inviting, and I shivered fiercely from the cold outside.

It was strange, facing death so calmly as I do now, whether or not it became my intention to be so detached from everything around me. But it was better than crying, snot, and dying with fear.

A pair of sneakers step in front of me, out of place between all of the men and the woman.

"Eris." His voice betrayed my mind, and I look up to acknowledge him. "I change my mind." His face is now level with mine, and his thin fingers graze over the dagger and the hand holding it. "I just realized how much I still value your life, even in death, and even if you killed me. I know it wasn't your fault, I get that. Let me help you... But first, you need to snap out of your daze."

Seeing Joe before me, I intake a long breathe: letting the chilly breeze liven my lungs and spread throughout my bloodstream. My veins vibrate and my muscles rejuvenate. I stare at Joe's face and a tear rolls down my cheek, leaving a long sting in its wake. "Thank you." I whisper.

Christina's attention is back on me, eyes surely fearful for the woman who she is about to kill just thanked her- but she had it all wrong. I turn to her, the smile I just had dissipated. "What did you just say you little-"

I stare at her, my eyes pierce through and into her soul. Her face beside mine, so close I could kiss her, but I wanted no partaking in such actions. My eyes continue to bore into hers until her mind is numb with fear. I want it to fester her mind, drift through her nerves and hijack her beating heart. Scare her till the point if no return so she could haunt me as Joe once did.

Her face contorts for a moment, and everyone hushes. Raul's grip on me tightens he, too, just as baffled as all the other men that joined the party. All ten men from Christina's gang, Oliver, and then The Dead King. My teeth grit together.

"Joe." I whisper to him, still staring at Christina. "Are you sure?"

I was ready since the moment we met.

He reached for the dagger at my neck, where it pressed precariously at my skin. And in that moment, I could feel Joe's cool fingers graze against the spot where the dagger once threatened my life. He pulled the dagger outward, away from me, forcing Christina's fingers to drop the weapon.

Her eyes widen in disbelief at her own hand, and she clutches her right wrist with her left one. Shouting, trying not to loose her temper, she growls like an animal. Her red dress, body-tight, was probably the only thing that kept her tiny form standing.

From my kneeling position I glance at Oliver; his eyes stare at me with both disbelief and pride, his lips parted and a crinkle of relief became evident between his eyebrows. I don't acknowledge him as I did Joe, but I do let him know that I'm alright internally.

While the gang was still in shock at Christina's outburst, I lean forward. My neck was bare to Raul, but he didn't see anything of why I would slump down. A burning in my chest pushed me to do what I did next.

Swinging my head back I cracked the back of my skull to Raul's skull.

The crack of two skulls banging against one another shuttered between the thirteen people surrounding me, not counting Joe and his one-sided fight with Christina's right hand.

I stand, taking up the opportunity of Raul's shock. And roundhouse kick him while he's down. His skull splits with contact, and blood rushes down his temple. He then lays limp in the green grass, the moon basking him in dull light.

The gang sees I'm a threat and they all snap to duty. All of the askew faces, missing ears, and deformed body parts saddened me for a moment, but as soon as it came it vanished along with my doubts.

My knees are loose and my body agile, the first swing that came for my face I step back as I had once watched Oliver do. Now, it seemed almost too easy: a game of cat to injured mouse. I let out a breathy laugh and stopped backing up from wobbly fists and fumbling fools. The next large fist that though suspended just as it grazed the tip of my nose. I blew at it gently, so light that he may not have even felt the small tingling that would raise his hairs on end.

His hand froze and started to turn black with frostbite. I grin and make eye contact with the beast of a man. The black of frostbite, only spreading across his arm, now spread through the veins of his eyes. I cock my head, a drowning sensation fulling my bruised brain. I reveled in the suffocation.

The black in the man's eyes withered and slivered to his iris, filling his entire eye with two blacks holes. I would have found the man to be a demon-looking had I not known that this was my own doing.

The rest of his body dropped in temperature, the rest of his veins morphing from blue to grey before my eyes. When he falls to his knees in defeat a small whimper escapes his purple blotted lips. "My daughter." He pleads, black eyes filling with bloody tears till one falls down his cheek creating the last remains of color his face would ever see.

"Should have thought of her before you messed with me." I casually shove his corpse aside, glaring at the other gang members who have all taken a step away from me.

I sigh, glancing at Joe. "Stop." I say to him, he lets go of Christina's hand and steps beside me.

Eris, I support you, but what you're doing isn't right. You killed him.

"That's the point, Joe. It's survival of the fittest around me. Inside of me. And across the world. That's the way it goes." I clear my throat and start to address everyone. I raise my hands to cross them at my chest, when a shrill scream filled with venom scratches at my ears.

Christina, on her feet, stumbling in her heels, lunges for me. But her battle cry was short lived.

I jut a hand out to my side, at her, and she's shoved back with an invisible wall. The wind tears at her hair as she flies backward and her legs kick furiously into nothing.

Eris!

Joe's words reach me, but I ignore them, I know he doesn't approve of my actions but he wasn't in charge of me.

Eris, please, you're not being yourself.

Joe's hand is in my shoulder and I raise an eyebrow at him. "Do you question my actions so much?"

Joe's face, even for a dead guy,  became vexed with horror. Who are you?

"I'm fulfilling my destiny." I reply calmly.

A destiny of evil.

I turn to the men, and I know they see me as a crazy woman muttering to herself, but that makes my body shiver with delight. I raise both of my hands, and all of their bodies rose off of the ground- suspended like sacrifices on the cross.

The switch inside of me, keeping the light out in the darkness, drops down weakly.

The battle inside of me was only just beginning.