10 | Familiar Fate

As I made my way back to my room someone caught my eye. I thought maybe I hadn't seen them, that my mind was hallucinating. But, he hadn't gone away when I blinked.

Suddenly, my good mood had turned ecstatic. Why was I so happy to see him? Of all the people around me he was the one that lifted my mood without a single glance.

A growl escaped my throat, a possessive curdling roll, and I waited for him to spot me at the bottom of the staircase. He was talking to a woman and a man, both in their early thirties, and was smiling through gritted teeth.

Considering walking up to him, I realized I was making traffic with the people shoving me out of the way. Because of this I press myself against the railing of the stairs.

Was this creepy? Casually waiting for someone I haven't seen for a couple months to look at me? Why don't I just go up and talk to him?

But he's busy talking to some other people.

I grunt, frustrated, and cross my arms over my chest. What am I doing? I'll see him later at some point.

Just then, after I looked down at my arms I lifted my head to glance at him one last time. He made eye contact, his smile defusing to a scowl, and his head turned abruptly back to his conversation as if nothing had happened.

My heart leapt, my mind whirred, and I couldn't move. I was stuck in place and ready to blow.

Laurence just blew me off? What the hell?

I stormed up the stairs, smoke practically fuming from my ears. Each step up was agony: taking on my anger with stiff resistance. The red rug on the stairs was a good muffler for my feet-but even then it couldn't drown out the sounds of refute that rage through my mind.

Calm down, you'll hurt someone. Joe appeared next to me, at the top of the stairs, his eyes soft and head cranked over to look at me. Remember you can kill in an instant, would you want another ghost to haunt you?

We were in the hallway now, at the top of the second floor, when I stop to turn and look at Joe. I stare him dead in the eye, so he can see the pain embedded there. When I looked into his eyes, it's nothing but a deadpan.

I just don't want you to hurt anyone like you hurt me. He states, with no sympathy for the woman who murdered him.

"Just... Go away!" I was starting to scream at him, trying to get another reaction out of him while wanting nothing more than to suffer in my sadness alone.

Joe's plain expression pissed me off, so I turned away from him and strutted forward- my eyes closed. That probably wasn't the best idea, because a couple wide steps later I was smacking into someone.

"Sorry." I mumbled, still angry but more embarrassed than anything else. When my eyes open I'm caught in familiar hands.

It was the man who took me inside the house after I had been beaten in the front yard. He was much taller than I remember and even more concerned with the lines forming around his face.

"Are you ok?" He asked, but I wasn't sure if he was referencing to the vein popping out of my head or that we had ran into each other.

"Fine." I comment.

"You sure?"

"Yea."

"It didn't look like it. You screaming at nothing worries me."

I was stumped. No one else can see Joe. I've been making a fool of myself in public and getting mad because Laurence didn't wave hello. What kind of idiot am I?

"Look, let's go get you something to eat? Do you like ice cream?" He adds, trying to usher me back to the stairs.

"Look, I just need some sleep." I push away from him, he looks disappointed but let's me go anyway.

Something just didn't feel right around him, no matter how soft his face looks or how calm he accepted my turmoil. Even when I didn't know his name, he still managed to care about me.

Unless he's no real and I'm imagining things. It seems to be a common phenomenon with me.