4 | Blinding Fate

I clasped the palm of my hand to the side of my face: the heat had buried itself there and the cold was starting to embed itself to my cheek. The blades of grass sway against my eyelid, poking at the little beats of sweat that form there.

"Eris?" I open my eyes; my neck too sore to lift up my melon of a head. Hands are now around my waist, tugging upward, and I groan to get my standing. When my feet feel sturdy I let go of the shoulder that was helping me off the dirt floor, but the hands don't leave my side. No, instead, they stay as they are and linger just above my hip-bone.

I close my eyes again; it was oddly bright outside and everything I was feeling felt like it was in over-drive. I try to say something, to let someone know how I felt, but how do you do that? How is it possible to explain what it was I felt?

"Lets get you inside." He says.

Stumbling blindly across the front yard a dragonfly- or a hummingbird?- makes it's way overhead. I duck, instinctively, at the nearness of the sound and try to open my eyes again. The light the sun brought in was still pounding at everything I could see. I had no idea why this was happening to me, why was the sun so bright? Why couldn't I just see normally like I used to?

We take the front porch steps little by little until we reach the large front doors and shove them in. A click of the handle and the jolt of the lock sliding into place eases me a little, but I still was walking blindly through the mansion.

"Lets set you down here." The man guides me over to a couch- it wasn't a long walk, we were probably still in the lobby- and lays me down. "I'll be right back."

I wait patiently for his return, keeping my eyes shut. When he did come back, a warm damp cloth was pressed against my eyes and the soothing warmth radiated through to my green irises.

It was nice, spending my time on the lobby couch, but at the same time it brought me back down to when I had an allergic reaction to chocolate. Could I be allergic to something outside? The grass perhaps?

"Wow." Comments the person that is, probably, leaning beside me on the couch. "Did you get into a fight? These are some nasty bruises."

I lay still, letting the guy observe my bruises, and wait patiently until he has finished. When I do open my eyes, everything looks as it did before, but rather my focus was much more intense. The area that I usually saw was much larger, as if my peripheral vision was only a small area rather than an immense distraction. That could be the reason why I saw it, the thing standing in the other identical room on an identical couch similar to the one I lay in.

My eyes are wide and have a hard time looking away from the face that I had just seen across the room, trying to find the man who had taken me inside the mansion. He was still there, dipping the towel in some water when he sees I have opened my eyes and was awaiting his attention- due to fear and lack of good judgement.

"What? What's wrong?" He asks, his voice deep and concerned. He was a hansom man with dark skin, little to no hair on his head, and large brown eyes that scanned my face.

I turn to look for the figure that I had seen sitting on the couch across the large lobby area, the left winged one, before finding that he was missing. I gulped in my fear, knowing I shouldn't concern my savior further, and shook my head. "It was nothing." And if I told myself that enough times, I would come to believe it myself.