16 | Thrashing Fate

The rock was starting to cool off with the setting sun looming over the thick trees and basking waters. Oliver didn't move to get up from his laying position, but my gut felt unfathomable. The shrubs surrounding our safe haven rustled with delicate care, twigs snapped within the threatening shadows the trees created, and animals opened wide eyes to flicker the sleeping sun's reflection back at me.

I felt like I was being watched.

I've always had a sense for wondering eyes, I just know when unexpected appearances lurk around. This was one of those moments. The feeling on my back twisted with my gut, mixing fear and adrenaline into one large glass of a milkshake surprise!

"Oliver." I poke at his resting body, right into his firm stomach. I try again, more desperate to get away: "Oliver!" If I knew the way out I may not have tried to wake him up.

"Mm?" He slowly opens his eyes, taking precious time to kill any escape from what I fear is going to come after us.

The trees start to create a whistle with the wind curving through leaves and branches, my eyes bulge and my arm comes up to slice a gust of attack magic into the shadows before us. All stills for a moment as my arm is up and ready, my forearm crossing my chest in half of an 'X'.

"What's going on Eris? Do you see game?"

"No." My words are shrouded with eminent fear, glazed with annoyance and bravado. Why can't he just sense the presence like I do- would make my job easier. "I thought I saw something." I half-lie knowing I really didn't see anything.

"Nothing lives in these woods that will hurt us Eris." Oliver sleepily sits up, and rubs his eyes before giving a quick stretch and yawn. "Are you ready to go back?" He adds.

My lips curl with uncertainty. Going into the woods was like declaring I wanted to be surrounded by the unknown, but it can only get darker and the sun was still ready and dimly shining on the west. "Let's go."

Our feet fall in sync together as we clamber about the thick tree trunks and swollen green moss. But, after some time, the prickling feeling in my stomach dropped and a wave of relief filled my lungs.

The moss, clinging to the trunks of the trees, pulsed brightly with a delicate hue. A giggle, much similar to that of delight, escaped my lips as we raced through the lively woods. Butterflies also illuminated with the fireflies, dancing in the ever-setting sun. The trees sway and colors of pink and purple gleam about like glitter in the thick air.

My dirty blonde hair whips around as I take in the sight of the lovely canvas surrounding me. My body aches to touch every beautiful thing in my wake: to grasp the beautiful flowers that are closing do the night or the orange leaves that radiate with such a powerful glow.

"So beautiful." I comment, slowing down to take in all of the setting with more detail.

Oliver smiles, though his eyes aren't as warm as I usually found them to be. "I thought we were running from 'something'?"

"We were." I muse, "but it's gone now."

"How do you know?" He turns to look behind us, not believing a word I said. His right eyebrow lifts up, scrunching part of his forehead with wrinkles before he sighs, takes my hand and slows us to a stop. "Eris, how do you know we are even in danger?" He tries again.

I slowly take my right hand from his warm palm. "I just didn't feel safe, that's all."

Oliver softens his face, cocks his head, and gives a little laugh. "You didn't feel safe?" He muses, probably considering why that would be the case.

I nod once, pulling fallen strands of hair behind my ear slowly.

Behind Oliver, the moss glowed tad bit lighter, basking Oliver's left side of his face in a thick, heavy, illuminating green. His smile turned genuine, forgiving, and honest. His eyes were shut as he bent his head down to let out a small airy laugh. "You're a character." He comments, lifting his head slightly to peer at her through his eyelashes.

"And your a Dead King." I shrug, feeling drunk with happiness and awe.

He doesn't respond, rather he nods and pats a hand on my shoulder. "You know you can trust me right? I won't do anything to hurt you. Not intentionally that is."

Hesitant, my lips curl around my teeth, and my chest takes a surprised intake of breath. Instead of forming words, I nod, choosing not to further the conversation.

I look down, orange leaves glowing against my white tennis shoes, and bend down to pick one large leaf up. The veins of the leaf are what appeared to be the source of the glow, and I admired it before giving away to another curious thought aloud.

"Oliver?" I ask.

"Yeah?" He responds quietly, whispering even, as he too inspects the leaf I hold.

"Why do they call you the Dead King?"

The question had been burning at the back of my mind for a while now, and I wanted one honest answer from him. He said I could trust him, he'll have to work some more for that foundation to grow the slightest.

His happy wondering gaze turns cold in an instant. The glittering forest seems to dim in his quake and turmoil. "Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to."

I'm taken aback, dropping the leaf to my feet, and clutching my fists together. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You don't want to know who the Dead King is: just accept that."

"What do you mean?" My lips fall flat from straining so much, and my arms dangle helpless at my sides.

"It means nothing to you, Eris, I'm not the one you should be questioning."

"Then who is?" I retort, pretty pissed-off at his nonchalant mannerisms.

His deadpan blue eyes send a silent message to me. His mouth opens to speak, ready to give me a name, when he sighs unhappily and fast-walks down the path. He looked defeated, sad, and frustrated.

There was something he's not telling me.

And I was going to find out what it was.