25 | Dancing Fate

Entering the ballroom once more, Ezra zig-zagged between the crowd until he disappeared among the supernatural presentations of different species.

I glance around again, feeling odd and out of place in my turquoise dress. My hair was styled up in curled ringlets, also crisscrossing in the back in a large braid. I had underestimated Maggie and her power of beauty. Not that she actually had magic to make me beautiful- she was just great at makeup and fashion. Possessed a gift at it.

My earrings, little silver half moons, swung back and forth to the beat of the music. The soft melody left me a little more at ease, and I swayed alone to the sound.

My arms cross over my stomach, breathing in the smell of perfumes and body heat. With so many people around, and knowing I still had magic inside of me, I was able to enjoy myself for a moment.

For a second I caught the gaze of a young man with bright blue eyes, and smiled at him happily. He smiled back, but it faltered for a moment.

"Would you like to dance?"

I turn to the person who was asking me, on my left, and see a stranger holding a hand out to me.

"I apologize, my name is Raul. I saw you were dancing alone and, I thought: 'wow, such a beautiful young woman should not be dancing alone.' If you don't want to dance I would understand." He had a Spanish accent, and lots of beautiful white teeth. His eyes were a deep brown and his tux fit firmly across broad shoulders. Knowing it wouldn't hurt to dance with a stranger I take his hand.

The song wasn't completely "slow dance" material, but it was enough to sway awkwardly with a man I have never known nor seen before. His hands are pressed at my lower back, warm and gentle, and my arms are at his shoulders. He wasn't crazy tall, but he was tall enough to make my arms ache slightly.

"You are really beautiful." Raul comments again, admiring my face. He lifts a hand to my cheek, stoking it gently. I wouldn't have known it at first, but the action made my head spin. The sleepiness I have been fighting all day stung even harder at my mind, a calm washed over my nerves and my body relaxed at his soft repetitive brushes. A deep hum gravitated and echoed across my skull, pulling me further into sleep. My cheek pressed against Raul's chest, and his left arm hung even tighter at my waist- holding me up and pulling me toward him.

"Excuse me."

Raul stopped his delicate cooing, the hum resided in my ears, and I stood shaking off any of my grogginess. The spinning in my head still remained, but I was more aware of my surroundings than I was before.

"I would like to dance with my girlfriend."

Raul lets me go, a snarl residing in his lips as he glances at me: "Too pretty." He comments, leaving Oliver and I alone on the dance-floor.

"Are you alright?" Oliver crouches slightly: trying to look me in the eyes while I hold my head up.

"Yea, I'm alright. Never been so tired in my life."

"A siren will do that to you." Oliver cocks his head.

"A siren?"

"Yes."

"Oh!" I chirp, still fighting my closing eyelids and yawning.

"Let's go sit you down." Oliver gives an urging push toward a couple of straggling tables off to the side of the ballroom.

"No, no." I shake my head, stopping him by pressing two hands on his chest and guiding him back on the dance-floor. "Let's dance."

As if on cue, fate had pulled some strings for this moment: a song strung out the first real slow melody of the night. Oliver looks shocked, wondering if I had anything to do with the music and then he remembers I'm powerless. "Is there something I need to know about your magic missy?" He jokes, but- he wasn't wrong: I did have something to tell him about my magic. But not now. Later.