Chapter 1: The Best Friend

Chapter 1: The Best friend

 Kiara Quinn Anderson

"Hi, Kiara!" My feet came to a halt as I recognized that familiar voice. It was perky and boyish, just like I always liked it. Just hearing that makes my heart race. I turned around to face him. Nathan—my Nathan.

"Oh, hello there buddy!" I gave him a toothy grin, attempting to conceal all of my feelings for him. Yes, he does not know. It's frustrating, but that's how things should be.

My happy heart died the moment I saw who he was with. Stacy, the cheerleader, is also the girlfriend. I cringed as my subconscious reminded me of who she truly is in Nathan's life.

"I had no idea you were with... a company." Looking over his shoulder, I have this urge to step on her heels. I felt a twinge of jealousy as he grabbed for her and wrapped her in his arms.

"Oh, buddy! You mean my girlfriend, Stacy?" Stacy seemed triumphant as Nathan addressed her, even smirking at me. And if that wasn't enough, she stood on her toes to claim his lips, as if staking her territory in front of the entire West Wing High campus.

Not everyone cares about lip locking, tongue wars, or making out sessions. They are a common sight here, after all, but not for me.

"C'mon dude! Get a room!" I groaned loudly this time, closing my eyes to disguise the pain I was feeling and pushing everything to the back of my mind. He knows I despise it when he shows public affection. He assumed I was just being out of place since I had little experience with this sort of things. 

Yeah, right! That's all it was. Who are you kidding!

I mentally slapped myself for this thought. Of course, that is all; he will never look at me the same way I do at him. I am just the best friend!

I jolted out of my reverie as the slut spoke! Oops! Sorry, not sorry. I mentally rolled my eyes.

"Oh, Kiara here is so jealous! I think we should go get her a date or something soon, Babe." Stacy gives me a look I can't quite understand. Maybe she's making me even more jealous. Unfortunately for me, it works what with her emphasizing their repulsive endearments. Yeah, I know she has thick skin, but she isn't slow in the uptake. She knows my feelings and takes advantage of them to upset me. It's relatively uncommon that the girlfriend and best friend get along so well.

"No-the-freaking-way, Stace!" Nathan blurted out suddenly, leaving us stunned. "B-babe?" Stacy looks even more taken aback as I, but her countenance rapidly transformed from panic to relief as Nathan laughed boisterously. As for me, I could only sigh in disappointment. I almost thought he had feelings for me back there.

"W-Who do you think would actually want to go out on a date with Kiara? I mean look at her - she's... she's just being Kiara." He didn't hesitate to humiliate me in front of the entire student population. Good job, Nathaniel Finiggan. Congratulations on your accomplishments. It's not the first time. I sighed and looked down at what I was wearing.

I'm wearing a worn-out Mickey Mouse hoodie, faded blue torn jeans, and dirty red Chucks. I adjusted my thick-rimmed glasses.

"This," I said, pointing to what I was wearing. "—is what you call a rugged look. And it's not that bad, you know!" I chided as my defensive side surged forward. Then the school bell rang.

"Yeah, right! Whatever!" Stacy remarked in a bored tone, dragging Nathan away from me. Nathan only shook his head, chuckling. They both turned the other way, leaving me behind.