royal red

//12:19pm//

Her latex gloves felt dry , in a sense. It felt like her hands were sweating bullets.

"Haruno-san?"

Hinata Hyuga's timid voice snaps her back into reality. Scary, scary reality. A reality where she has to operate on her best friend again. Face having his blood on her hands-literally- again.

She licks her lips and pulls at her gloves again. Time is ticking.

"Scalpel." She commands.

The Hyuga hands her the surgical tool. Sakura positions the knife over the valley between his ribs and sinks her scalpel into his tanned skin. Breathe, Sakura, breathe. The scalpel slices through his skin like a knife into melted butter; she makes the incision seven inches long. Crimson gushes out onto the yellowed skin but is quickly wiped away. Sakura can't help but look into the room above the operation room. She can see Sasuke with his aristocratic features formed into a scowl. She breathes in through her nose and separates the fat, sections of the pectoralis, and parts of of the surratus muscle with a No. 20 scalpel. Ventilation is stopped for a moment, and Naruto's lung collapses.

"Bp going down." a voice reports.

"Sterilize it." Sakura says.

She uses her blade and makes a small incision in his muscle. The hole she makes is small, but large enough to place the end of a pair of blunted scissors inside. The hole the pink-haired doctor had made is widened; Sakura sticks her ring finger inside and pushes the lung away from the blunt edge of the scissors. Even though Sakura is an experienced doctor, she still can't shake the feeling of a bare lung. She shivers slightly before commanding a nurse again.

"Rib spreader."

A nurse hands Sakura a metal object. Sakura takes the spreader and looks up again. Sasuke's face is slightly more relaxed than earlier. His dark eyes are trained on Sakura. The pinkette diverts her attentions from the dark haired man to Naruto.

Taking a deep breath, she places the rib spreader into his body and his ribs part enough for Sakura to perform her ultimate purpose. Without asking, a nurse hands Sakura a suction. The pinkette plunges the suction into her friend's body and moves it around slightly. Sakura watches with satisfaction as the clots and blood from Naruto's body gets sucked up by the suction. The female doctor removes her suction and trains her eyes on Hinata.

"Think you can finish it up?"

The pale girl nods her head quickly and moves to Sakura's spot as she begins to sew up her crush.

Sakura moves to the exit of the operation room with her hands in an upright position. She refuses to look at Sasuke this time in fear of him seeing her eyes. Tears make their rightful way down her face as the doors part for her and she takes off her operating gown. In this moment she hates Naruto more than anything in the world. How could he make her operate on him again? .

She takes a deep breath again. The operation is a success. But her happiness is cut short as a certain man walks into the room. Sakura clenches her teeth as she forces out an awkward 'Hello'.

There is no response.

"So, er, thanks for telling me about Naruto and stuff." Sakura babbled.

"Hn. You did an (he fumbles slightly) adequate job."

Fury fills Sakura as she forces herself not to choke Sasuke. She fakes a smile. (Insert scoff) I did a brilliant job.

"Why thank you, Sasuke-kun."

The black haired man twitches visibly in response to the newly added suffix.

"Don't call me that." He commands.

"Hn." Sakura says. On the inside, she applauds herself for being able to aggravate the irritating doctor. Actually, she thinks her 'hn' impersonation is quite good.

"Why are you giggling." Sasuke says.

"Er well, I'm just glad that Naruto is okay now!" Sakura could feel her cheeks flushing.

The dark-haired man seemed unimpressed. Sakura bit her lip awkwardly.

"Well er, bye Sasuke-kun!"

Relived, Sakura started to strut out of the room but a strong arm pulled her back.

"Yes, Sasuke-kun. Did you need something?" She emphasized the suffix.

"Normally I would ask someone more...civilized but unfortunately I need help with my patient, Rock Lee." Sasuke's eyes were trained on the white wall behind Sakura as he said Lee's name in disgust.

Sakura clenched her fist as he talked. Me, not civilized? He's the one who ate the ramen!  Hmph. What a bast-

"Hello?" Sasuke asked agitatedly.

"Don't you have any patience?" Sakura whispered under her breath.

Sasuke rolled his eyes impatiently.

Although Sasuke was known to complain about the smallest and most obscure things, Sakura had to agree with him that Rock Lee was difficult, to say the least, to treat. There was no doubt that Lee was giving Sasuke a hard time for taking Sakura away from him. The pinkette giggled softly. Karma's a bit-

"So. Will you help me?" Sasuke interrupted her thought again.

Sakura nodded her head. "I'll go see him later."

Sasuke bowed his head gratefully and sped off.

Beep! Beep! Sakura looked down to see her watch flashing the time at her.

3:00 pm.

Shit. Sakura had a meeting. Like the day she met Sasuke, she dashed to her office in a similar manner. Looking through the window, she could see that her visitor was already seated and tapping away on his phone. Sakura walked into her office and seated herself in front of the familiar blonde man.

"Hey Minato. I just finished patching Naruto up, what's up?"

Naruto's father flashed a dazzling smile at Sakura. "Thank you, Sakura." His word were genuine and sweet. "Naruto's always getting into some kind of trouble. It's nice to know that someone is looking out for him."

Sakura nodded her head. "Although Naruto is a pain in the butt, he's still my friend."

Minato raised his eyebrows. "Just friends?"

Sakura kicked him underneath the desk and scoffed. "Yes, just friends but one of my coworkers have a massive crush on him."

Interested, Minato pressed Sakura for details. "What's her name?"

"Hinata Hyuga."

The two talked about Naruto's love life for 4 more minutes.

"Oh Minato, why did you want to see me?" Sakura questioned.

"Well you see, I'm getting old and I need someone to run my business, Uzumaki Construction." Minato was hesitant about the next part. "The obvious choice would be Naruto but I'm afraid that someone's trying to hurt him. Remember the night he fell off his bike? Not an accident, but he won't tell me who did it or who he thinks did it."

"What the hell? I'll talk to him, Minato and I'll report back to you." The pink haired doctor had no idea her best friend was being threatened physically. Once she found out who initiated the attack, she would beat them up before telling Minato.

With that thought in mind, she strolled off to Naruto's room.

A/N: I know, I know...I suck. This chapter sucked too. Feel free to beat me up virtually. Not my best work. I'm so sorry it took me this long to update, I just lost motivation. But I'm slowly getting back into writing mode, so hang in there with me.

P.S- does anyone here watch k-dramas?