Chapter 39: I Spy

Start from the beginning

"It is time to show Kayla and Sarah to the turtles' hideout," Shredder ordered. Dalilah's smile almost dropped, but she stopped herself, knowing it might blow her cover. It didn't prevent her heart from sinking, though. Dalilah was tempted to ask, "Do we have to go right now?" but that would be 'disrespectful' and Dalilah would explode her cover.

It wasn't like she could notify the turtles, anyway. She'd just been sitting idle in her room trying to come up with a way to contact them. She couldn't call or text them; she didn't know their phone numbers. She didn't even know if they had phones. Sneaking out was a no go. Dalilah knew she wasn't skilled enough to do so, and it would completely ruin the plan. What other options were there? Sending a message to them telepathically?

Dalilah resisted the urge to laugh at herself as she forced a nod, eyes trained on the floor. She heard footsteps, and two teenage girls stepped into the throne room.

Dalilah knew one of them; it was Kayla, the girl she'd been training against only a few hours prior. She had seen the other girl, who Dalilah figured must be Sarah, but had never actually spoken to her. They bowed in unison, as if they were robots, and stared at Shredder, awaiting his orders obediently, almost like dogs.

'Robot dogs,' Dalilah thought to herself, and it was at that point that she fully accepted the turtles as the good guys. She'd been on the fence about it, dangling on the turtles' side but still having the chance to prove them false. As she observed their two friends, it finally sank in. The mind-controlled girls literally felt nothing; they just did what the Shredder said. Kayla, Sarah, and whoever the other friend was had no free will. At least, not anymore.

Dalilah clenched her teeth at the thought. She bit her tongue inside her mouth to prevent herself from snapping at Shredder and ruining everything.

"Go immediately. If there is any sign of the turtles, you are to return here. Kayla and Sarah can take care of themselves," Shredder ordered.

Dalilha nodded once more, and the Shredder dismissed her. As she exited, she heard Shredder say to Kayla and Sarah, "Bring me the turtles, alive. I want them to live to see the downfall of Hamato Yoshi."

With a monotonous bow, the two girls met Dalilah at the door to leave, and when they arrived, Dalilah led them to the planned alley way.

Dalilah approached their destination slowly, hoping to the the turtles enough time to prepare themselves. They really rushed their plan, she realized: the turtles had no way to contact her, so how would they know when to be at the meeting spot? Her heart raced as she led the turtles' friends farther into the alley.

"Um, here it is," she revealed in a low voice. The two other girls scanned the area, and Dalilah panicked, quickly gesturing to the manhole she'd escaped the sewers from a few days before. "Its in the sewers, of course. You know; because they live down there."

Out of the corner of her eye, Dalilah saw a shadow shift, and she became hyper aware of her surroundings. Six figures sat in the darkness, watching, but they couldn't advance. Not on their friends.

"It would be a shame if the turtles were here and kidnapped one of us," Dalilah announced loudly. She saw another shadow shift, and a green hand quickly flitted out the shadows in a thumbs-up shape before Kayla and Sarah could see it. The two girls' eyes snapped to Dalilah, making her gulp. "Luckily they aren't here, though. Shall we?"