Chapter 29

(Angel's POV)

I wake up to the sound of the door closing. Flipping to my back, I feel the cold emptiness of the bed. I take a deep breath as recollections of last night run through my head.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, without any warning, I am pulled into a chest with arms being wrapped around me.

My favorite scent enters my semi-blocked nose once again. The strength that held me together is holding me once again. I take a deep breath and feel myself calm down in those arms. Just for a moment, before another breakdown attacks me and I pull their body close to mine as I continue to cry.

Familiar hands run up and down my back, giving me goosebumps yet calming me down. I sob before grasping their top, pulling their body closer, looking for comfort. As I continue to cry, I feel arms tighten around me as I am lifted off the ground and laid on the bed.

"Rest, all you need is rest." A raspy, hoarse voice says as I'm pulled closer.

I look up from the chest my head lays on to see the once familiar face, strange. The once beautiful, shining, icy, deep blue eyes are now shut and swollen. I recognize this type of swelling and discoloration. I used to have it whenever I'd cry for a long period of time or try to hide my tears by rubbing my eyes.

The once handsome, strong, loving face, now has stress and sleep deprivation written all over it. Realization hits me that maybe, just maybe I wasn't alone in what I'm feeling.

Once the eyes open, I look away. My body keeps urging me to say something... Anything, but I keep quiet, fearing that I'll ruin the moment.

I pull the body closer as I slowly begin to drift off to sleep.

I open my eyes and sit up. That was one of the best sleeps I've had in over three weeks. I look around before glancing a note and a small gift box. I get up and get the note. Just as I was about to read it, my phone rings. Turning to get it, I see Delilah's name and picture pop up on the screen.

"Good morning." I say.

"Morning? It's two pm, honey. I've been calling you all morning." Delilah says.

"I'm sorry. I slept."

"Oh, well, in that case, it's ok. You finally got some sleep."

"Yeah. Anyways, why were you calling all morning? Is something wrong?"

"Angel, do you know what day it is?"

"Sunday."

"Oh my god. Angel, it's your birthday!"

"What? No, it isn't. I'd never forget my birthday."

"Looks like you did."

"Oh my god. Wait."

I check the calendar above the desk... She's right. It's my birthday.

"I can't believe I forgot my birthday."  I say.

"It's ok, sweetie, you've been through a lot these last couple of weeks. It's normal." She says.

"Woah. Thank you, though, for reminding me."

"It's nothing. Now that you finally answered, you can finally listen to her. One second."

"Ok."

"(Happy Biwthday to you.
Happy biwthday to you.
Happy biwthday deaw Mama.
Happy biwthday to you.)" Ellie's voice flows to my ear.