Prologue

(Angel's POV)

I can't believe I'm lost AGAIN! This is my own hometown, for God's sake. Caroline, my best friend, just moved a week ago and she had a party today. Elena, my other best friend, was the one who drove me, and I am now walking home... alone.

I sigh as I take out my phone to call Elena. It's now one am... I left the party about an hour ago.

"Hello?" Elena answers.

"Heyyyy. I need a favor," I say.

"Don't tell me you're lost too,"

"Too?"

"I just got off the phone with Tyler, he and Matt were lost too,"

"Well, could you help out another friend?"

"Sure. Where are you? I'll come pick you up,"

I look around and gasp.

"What's wrong?"

"I... uh... I'm kind of at the Welcome to Mystic Falls sign,"

"You made it all the way to the border? Oh my god!"

"Just send me instructions. The alcohol is starting to affect me even more,"

"Are you sure you don't want me to pick you up?"

"No. No, just send me the directions,"

"OK. Call me when you get there," She says and hangs up.

I really hope Delilah's sleeping. I hardly doubt it, though. She always waits for me. She is exactly like a mother to me. My mother died of cancer when I was two. The tiny memories that are left of her help me get through my hard times. I always want to make her and my father proud of me. My father, whom I've never known. I have a very complicated family. If you could even call it one.

A ding brings me back to reality. I smile as I see Elena sent me directions into the center of town. I know my way from there. I start walking, checking the message every couple of minutes, making sure I'm on the right track.

"OK. I need to make a right... now." I say, looking down at the phone.

I then bump into someone, making me fall down. I get up and get my phone,

"I am so sorry. Are you okay?" I ask.

The person doesn't reply. I can't see whoever it is. It's too dark. All I can see is a pair of piercing blue eyes. I feel weak as I look into them. I then feel something soft being placed in my arms.

"I love you, Ellie." A male voice says before the figure vamps away.

A vampire.

I've never seen one, but I've always known they existed. Delilah had told me about them when I was young. So has Elena. Her father was a descendant of a founding father. They had a 'secret society' made just to capture vampires.

I look down at the item in my arms. I can't see it well. A light pole is a couple of feet ahead of me. I walk to it and look down. A pink blanket... it's moving. I remove the first layer and gasp. A baby.

There in my arms. A baby girl. Sleeping. The vampire's baby girl. Ellie.