Chapter 17

I looked down to see a little girl who couldn't be more than eight years old. Her hair was in a braid and her little eyes were trained on me.

  "Excuse me Ms. Angel lady, um, you're my hero." She fumbled over her words trying to be as polite as she could. Her words melted my heart. I put my hand on her shoulder.

  "What's your name sweetheart?" I asked. I put on my biggest smile.

  "My name's Rosa!" she exclaimed. She looked ready to burst with happiness.

  "Well Rosa, did you know your also my hero?" A confused look crossed her face. Her eyebrows crinkled and here eyes kept on flickering between me and the floor. Finally she looked up.

  "But I don't save people..." she said slowly.

  "Well, people like you who believe in me give me the strength to save others." A smile grew across her face showing off little dimples. A woman hurried over to us.

  "I'm so sorry. I went to the bathroom and she must've run off." She gestured for Rosa to follow her.

  "It's ok. It was nice meeting her. Have a nice day!" I turned back to Rebel who had an eyebrow raised. I couldn't tell if he was smiling or not.

  "That was a nice way of avoiding the question." he said. I glared at him.

  "It was a coincidence. I didn't plan it." I sighed and looked down.

  "Yes, but it was more than that." I said. I didn't want to talk about it but I might as well get it over with. Rebel gave me a look, waiting for me to explain.

  "Chains were what Dr. Lyon used to restrain me. He thought since I was barely human I should be treated as an animal." I laughed nervously "Also, no training what so ever in fighting." Rebel grabbed my hand and squeezed it tight.

  "Now, you're considered a superhero. He lied. You're not an animal. You're a caring person capable of saving others. He knows nothing of who you really are." He said it sternly. I was on the verge of tears now. Then both our phones  buzzed.

  He picked his up and scanned the text.

  "The chief wants us to go to a pride parade tommorow." I choked on my hot chocolate. He glanced at me and continued.

  "He wants us to keep the peace in case of protesters and judging by your reaction you might have something to say to me." He said it clamly. I glared at him.

  "I'm not going to judge you. You can always talk to me."

  "Alright ok. I'm a lesbian." I slammed my hand on the table. Then the waitress put the pancakes on the table. Then she spoke.

  "That's nice. Got some representation in the LGBT community." She nodded to herself and walked away. I looked at Rebel and uttered one word.

  "Shit."
---------------------------------------------------------
  Rebel and I were walking across rooftops again. I kept glancing at Rebel. He stopped.

  "Something you want to ask?" He didn't even look at me.

  "Do you think of me differently?" I dreaded the answer.

  "Nah. I'm bisexual myself." He said it so casually I had to do a double take.

  "I feel like I know more about you Raven, than you know about me so I'm trying to be more open." I had forgotten he knew my real name. He smiled.

  "I'll give you ten bucks if you get on a lesbian float."

  "If I don't"

  "Nothing will happen. Don't want to force you, but you know, free money. Also I'll get on a bisexual float." He shrugged. I smiled.

  "Let's do it."