Chapter 11

It was a Wednesday in September when it happened. Melissa was supposed to pick me up from school but it was Sam instead. I gave him a weird look when I got in the car but I stayed silent. He looked like he wanted to say something but no words could come out. He started driving bit I soon realized we weren't on the normal route to the house.

"Where are we going?" I asked. He and Melissa were the only people I physically talked to yet he still looked surprised.

"Sorry, still not used to you talking." He took a deep breath. "My superiors want to talk to you. It's nothing bad so don't worry."

I asked him why. He said it was about the plane crash. I cringed. I didn't know if I was going to get scolded or praised but I didn't really want the attention. People at school have been trying to figure out my identity for a while now. Especially Jared and Jen. Turns out they are hard core superhero investigators. They've been trying to figure out who Rebel was for months now. They didn't suspect me though. How could the shy mute kid save people? They haven't heard me speak so that might have been why. Sadly they already figured out my crush on Emily.

Before I even knew it we were in front of FBI headquarters of D.C.

"Security might ask you to take of your sweatshirt. Let me talk to them so I can explain ok? It is still open to the public to a certain extent." Sam rambled. I nodded.

Going through security was easy. They didn't ask me about my sweater, mostly because they knew Sam and they doubted he would bring anyone dangerous or a criminal into the building. We made our way through the winding halls until we reached an open area with cubicles everywhere. A few people waved as we ascended a staircase to an office. This was like being sent to the principals office but worse.

Entering I saw a stoic looking mam sitting calmly behind his desk. He was balding and at the end of his nose sat a pair of rectangular glasses. There was a placard on his deck with his name. Jonathan Hill.

Samuel looked torn between leaving or staying. Mr. Hill seemed to notice as he decided to say something.

"You might as well stay Samuel. She is a minor." he said, amusement clear on his face.

Sam nodded and said a quiet "Yes Sir." before sitting down. I sat in the chair next to him.

"Raven, because of your help with the plane crash we would like you to team up with the police. Along with some other people. Like Rebel and other vigilantes. They do have to state their identities but it will only be on paper in my office, we want them to feel safe." he said.

Now this was far from the scolding I thought I was going to get. I guess Samuel looked shocked because Mr. Hill decided to comment on it.

"Don't look surprised Samuel, it's not everyday we can employ a unique individual so we decided to." then looking to me he said "We would like you to find Rebel and let him know of our offer, we are aware that you are unable to speak so I took the liberty of printing out a form that you can give him." he said sliding a packet over to me.

"Actually sir, I can speak but I usually only do it if I have to but I will take it just in case I forget something." I said trying to keep my voice steady.

His eyes widened for a moment then he nodded. "That will be all." he said.

My mind was going haywire as we were leaving, then one thought crossed mind.

'Am I even getting paid?'