Chapter 3

"Now, Raven Dr. Diaz here would like to make sure you're healthy. Can he run a few tests."

I looked warily between Samuel and the doctor. When my captor ran tests I usually was in a lot of pain, but I knew Samuel wouldn't let him hurt me.

"Now, I'm only going to do a little blood work, the nurse will be by later to do a physical examination." the doctor stated.

I nodded. I don't like needles, usually they stabbed into me to the point of bruising, but I wanted it over as soon as possible, it was better than what my captor used to do to me.. I stuck out my arm, screwed my eyes closed, and faced the other way. My other hand found Samuel's hand and gripped it tight. I felt a slight pinch but it was over in seconds.

"Raven, Mr.Roberts and I are going to leave, the nurse will be by shortly." the doctor said.

I hugged Samuel before he left, which seemed to suprise him. He gave me a soft smile.

A few minutes later a female nurse walked in on me inspecting my feathers. She put a clipboard down by the sink and put on some gloves.

"My name Jocelyn and I'll be examining you today. I'm going to have to ask you to undress so I can see if you have any injuries." She said as she wrote something down on her clipboard.

I looked down in embarrassment as I unlaced my gown. My wings started to surround me. Jocelyn then looked up.

"I know this may feel uncomfortable to you but we need to know the extent of your injuries and medical issues."

I nodded and brought in my wings to my back. She shine a light in both eyes. She frowned and inspected my torso. She gently pressed an area under my left beast and a sharp pain made me wince. Then she looked at my arms and legs.

Grabbing her clipboard she started muttering "one broken rib....multiple bruises...major bruising around wrists and throat.....severe vitamin D deficiency....avian eyes."

She gasped when she looked at my torso. She was scrutinizing the Y-shaped scar, the vivisection. She looked....off. she wrote something down quickly. Looking up she asked "What is your age?"

I shrugged. 'I have no idea.'
---------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Diaz estimated my age at sixteen. He put me on a diet to help my malnutrition. He wanted me to stay for a week at the least to watch the healing of my rib.

Jocelyn helped me cut my hair to get rid of my mats. My hair was shaved around my neck and ears, it was longer on top, something I could style.

Samuel had come in to tell me he was my guardian for the time being and that I could call him Sam. He explained to me that he had a house-wife that could catch me up on school. He also explained to me what exactly his job was and how he found me.

He said he was an FBI agent and that my captor, Dr. John Lyon, had his medical license taken away for experimenting on his patients. They were suspicious when he started ordering medical supplies for people and animals. His team finally got a warrant when a neighbor reported screaming. My screaming.

Sam said that I could go public about my ordeal or I could keep it anonymous. I could already see those gawking faces, watching me like i waz nothing but a carnival attraction. Bothering me in everyday life. I decided to keep it a secret.

"Have you've ever flown?"

Sam's voice jostled me out of my thoughts. I looked up and shook my head. I had never left that room.

"Do you want to?"

'Hell Yes.' I nodded vigorously.

"I got some friends with a few acres in the country, one of the guys on my team and they're not even there half the time. We might be able to go there when you're better."

I smiled until it hurt.