Chapter 7

My parents said Riley could sleep over even though it's a school night. She got here a couple minutes ago and we're in my room talking.

"Noah keeps talking about you, you know," she said.

"I know. He keeps begging me to go out with him again." I rolled my eyes.

"You should. He really loves you."

"I know but I just don't want to get hurt."

She looked at me as if I'm stupid. "Erin, this is Noah we're talking about. He's one of the sweetest guys we know. He's not gonna hurt you."

"I just can't date him. You know about my brother."

"Yeah, but I just don't get it. Do you actually think you'd kill yourself if your boyfriend broke up with you?"

I sighed. She does have a point. "No, but I still can't date. Besides, I don't even know if I still have feelings for him. He's being really annoying lately."

"Because he wants you back!" I gave her the look. "Alright, fine!" She held her hands up to say she's backing off. "How about Jason then?"

I laughed. "Yeah, right. He doesn't even like me that way."

"Are you kidding? He's crazy about you! It's so obvious!"

"No, he's not. He told me he only sees me as a friend."

"Of course he's gonna say that. He doesn't want you to know he likes you. You told him about your brother, right?"

"Yeah."

"And that's exactly why he would tell you he doesn't have feelings for you. But it's so obvious he does."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. Even if he did like me I would never go out with him."

"Okay. Whatever."

The next day Riley and I walked into the school. Noah was talking to one of his friends but he was looking at me. I quickly headed to my locker.

"See you at lunch," Riley said.

"Alright. See you."

She went in the direction of the bathroom. Probably to put on makeup with Alexa like she does every morning. I put my combination in and grabbed my books.

"Hey, Erin."

I turned around. Jason was leaning against the locker next to mine. "Hey. What's up?"

"Nothing. So we're hanging out later, right?"

"I guess so."

"Okay. Cool."

I faced my locker again and shut it. "I gotta go." I started walking to class. Someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around.

"Hey," Ryan said.

"Hey. What's up?" I asked.

"Nothing. I need to talk to you for a second."

"Okay. What about?" That was when he kissed me. At first I was too shocked to respond but then I pulled away. "Why'd you just kiss me?"

"Sorry. I've just really wanted to do that for a while. What I really wanted to say was I like you. And I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me." He doesn't know about my brother.

"Um.. Well.. I don't date."

"You don't?"

"No."

"So that's why you haven't dated since two years ago."

"Yeah."

"Okay, well, forget I ever asked then." He looked embarrassed as he walked away. I continued walking in the opposite direction.

I just realized how many guys like me. I wonder why. I'm not that special. I headed into the classroom and sat down at my seat.

About an hour after school ended I got a text from Jason. He had said he was gonna come pick me up soon. That was ten minutes ago and now we're hanging out at his place.

"So wanna play a game?" he asked.

"Sure," I replied. "What game?"

"Would you rather."

"Okay."

"Would you rather go swimming in a lake with sharks or get trapped in a cage with a lion?"

I laughed. "Lakes don't have sharks!"

"So? Just answer the question."

"Okay, okay! Swim in a lake with sharks."

He looked shocked. "Really?"

"Yeah. Okay, my turn to ask you something. Would you rather die from drowning or die from falling off a cliff?"

"Cliff."

My eyes widened. "Why? That's so painful!"

"Not really 'cause if you fell off a cliff you would die instantly. But if you drowned you wouldn't be able to breathe for a while."

"Oh. That's true."

"Would you rather..." He smiled evilly. "Kiss me or Noah?"

"I don't want to answer that." I looked around the room. Anywhere but at him.

"You have to." I could tell he was smirking.

"Fine. Then Noah."

I looked at him again and his smile started to fade. "Oh. Why him?" He sounded jealous. But that's not possible. He doesn't have feelings for me.

"Because he's my ex. Besides, I still kind of like him."

"Oh." He clenched his hand into a fist. I wonder why.

 I backed up. "You sound mad."

"I'm not mad," he mumbled. Liar.

'You're acting like you are."

"Well I'm not!" This time he was yelling.

"Okay. Geez. What's your problem?" When I finished talking he kissed me. I was shocked. Just like the first time we kissed I felt tingles. But I don't even like him so I don't know why. A few seconds later we broke apart. I put my fingers to my lips. "Why'd you just kiss me?" He didn't answer. Instead he just kissed me again. I pulled away.

His eyes widened as if he realized what he just did. "I'm sorry. I didn't... I didn't mean to... I..."

"It's fine," I said.

He looked shocked. "I thought you said-"

I cut him off. "I did but you didn't ask me to be your girlfriend. All you did was kiss me and I can tell you regret it." I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed.

"Oh." He paused. "So can I kiss you again?"

"What? Do you want to?"

"A little."

"But why? I thought you didn't like me."

"I don't."

"Then why do you want to kiss me?"

"I don't know. You're a good kisser."

I laughed. "Guys." I sarcastically rolled my eyes.

He pouted at me. "At least I'm being honest."

I laughed again. "That's true."

He started leaning in again. "So... Can I kiss you?"

"No."

He frowned. "Why not?"

"Because we're just friends. That's all you see me as and that's all I see you as."

"Okay. Fine." He looked down faking sad.

I laughed. "Stop pretending to be sad."

"I am sad."

"Yeah, right," I said sarcastically. I grabbed my phone and looked at the time. "I better go." I started walking to the door. He followed.

"Wait. Don't I get a goodbye kiss?"

I laughed. "Bye." I opened the door and started walking home.