Chapter 4

"Erin!" I turned around at my locker. Riley was coming my way. "Hey."

"Hi," I said. I turned back to my locker and shut it.

"Listen, I'm sorry about what I said at lunch yesterday. I shouldn't have said that."

I smiled. "Okay. I forgive you."

Her face lit up. "Really? So we're best friends again?"

"Yeah.We're best friends." She smiled and hugged me. We started walking towards class. "So now that we're done with that, why'd you tell Jason my address?" I crossed my arms.

She gave me a guilty smile. "Sorry but he wanted it."

I laughed. "It's fine. I was just kidding."

"Hey, Erin." I looked to my right and saw Jason start walking towards us. "Can we talk?"

Riley looked at me and smiled. "I'll leave you two alone." She started walking away.

"Wait! You don't have to do that!" I shouted to her but she just kept walking. I groaned and turned back to Jason.

"What? Aren't you happy to see me?" he asked and smirked.

"Not really," I admitted.

"Oh, really? 'Cause yesterday it seemed like we were friends."

"Well you're wrong."

"I guess I told you about my family for nothing then."

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Come on. Can't we be friends?"

"No."

"Why not?" He looked as if realization dawned on him. "Wait a minute. You want to be more than friends, don't you? Well I don't really like you that way but-"

I cut him off. "I don't like you!"

He laughed. "I'm just messing with you." His face turned serious. "But seriously, why can't we be friends?"

I sighed. "Look. I think you're nice and sweet, but I can't be friends with you. I'm sorry."

I started walking away but he grabbed my arm. "Why not?"

That pushed me to the edge. "I just can't, okay?!" He looked hurt. I softened a little. "I'm sorry for yelling at you but you just keep annoying me."

"That's because I want to be friends with you," he mumbled.

"But why? That's what I don't get."

"Because you're cool. And you're nice... and pretty."

I smiled. "Thanks." I could feel myself giving in already. "Okay. I'll be friends with you."

Hope filled his eyes. "Really?"

"Yeah. But only friends."

"Of course." He paused. "Thanks."

"Sure." The bell rang. "Crap. I gotta go."

"Okay. I'll see you later."

"Yeah." I turned and fast walked to my world History class. My teacher looked at me as I entered the room.

"Miss Chamberlin. So nice of you to join us. But next time be on time." The whole class looked at me as I took my seat.

"Sorry. It won't happen again," I said.

She turned to the board and started teaching the lesson.

After school Jason came over to see if I wanted to hang out. So now we're in his living room playing truth or dare and laughing our heads off. He had just asked me how many boyfriends I've had and I admitted that I only ever dated Noah.

"I'm serious! I've only had one boyfriend!" I said.

"But that doesn't seem possible. You're too pretty."

I blushed. "Um... I... Uh... Thanks," I stuttered nervously.

"No problem." There was an awkward pause. "It's your turn."

"Oh, right. Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

I thought about what to ask and decided on the most common question. "Do you like anyone?"

"Yes. I like someone a lot."

"Who?" I suddenly wanted to know.

He smiled. "That's a whole different question. My turn. Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"Do you like anyone?"

"No. I don't date, remember?"

"So? You can still like someone."

"Well I don't."

"Okay. Whatever."

"Truth or dare?"

"Dare." He smirked at me knowing I wanted him to pick truth.

I glared at him. "I hate you." He laughed. "Okay. Hmm... I dare you to.... I can't think of anything."

He laughed. "Come on. I'm sure you can think of something."

"But I suck at dares." I pouted.

"Just dare me to do anything. Even if it sucks."

I frowned. "Fine. I dare you to go drink from the milk carton."

He shrugged. "Okay." He went into the kitchen, grabbed the carton from the fridge, and took a big drink.

My jaw dropped. "Ew! Gross! I can't believe you actually did it!"

He laughed. "Of course I did." He put it back in the fridge and sat down. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare."

He thought about it for a couple seconds and then looked at me. "Kiss me."

I froze. "What?"

"Kiss me. Just once."

"Why? I thought you didn't like me?"

"I don't."

That confused me. "Then why do you want me to-"

He cut me off. "Just do it. It's a dare. It doesn't mean anything."

"O-okay." I leaned in and kissed him. Electricity shot through me and I immediately pulled away. "I-I gotta go." I stood up and walked to the door fast.

"Why are you leaving?" he asked from behind me. I ignored him and exited his house. I started running down the street and didn't stop. Not even when I heard him call my name.