Chapter 2

"Hey guys," I said as I sat down at the lunch table next to my friends.

"Hey. What's up?" my friend Alexa asked.

"Not much.Tired of school."

She laughed. "Isn't everyone?"

My friend Ryan opened his mouth to reply but someone cut him off. "Hey Erin." I turned around and saw Jason behind me. I rolled my eyes.

"What do you want?"

"I want to hang out with you after school."

I rolled my eyes again. "You already asked me that and I already said no. So forget it."

"Great. I'll pick you up at four," he said completely ignoring what I just said. He smiled and went back over to where his friends were sitting.

"I don't want to hang out with you!" I yelled at him but it was no use. He ignored me.

I groaned and turned back to my friends. Riley and Alexa were looking at me but Ryan wasn't paying attention.

"What was that?" Riley asked.

"What was what?" I asked innocently.

"You know. Why didn't you tell us he asked you to hang out?" Alexa asked accusingly.

"Because I told him I don't want to but obviously he doesn't care. It's not like it's a big deal."

"Yes it is! He's hot!" Riley said. I rolled my eyes. "I told you he likes you."

"He doesn't. He just wants to hang out as friends."

"Right," she said sarcastically and rolled her eyes. "He so likes you. It's obvious. And Addison even told me he does."

"Well how would she know?"

"He must've told her. Or she could've guessed. Besides, it's obvious, especially for her since she lives with him."

"Whatever. He doesn't like me but even if he did I wouldn't go out with him. I don't date."

"I know. You remind us every five seconds," Alexa said.

"I wouldn't have to if you didn't keep trying to get me to date guys." A couple months ago they tried to set me up on blind dates with five different guys. I didn't show up. The next day I yelled at them to stop trying to make me date guys or I'd stop talking to them. They stopped for a few days but then they started bugging me again.

"Honestly, you should date. You're not gonna get hurt. You're not Tyson," Riley said.

My jaw dropped. "I can't believe you just said that to me." I stood up and walked out of the lunch room angrily. I heard her footsteps behind me.

"Erin!"

I stopped and turned around. "What?!" I crossed my arms over my chest. She didn't say anything. "Why would you bring that up? Seriously? You know I don't like bringing him up."

"I know. I'm sorry."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever." Before she could say anything else I turned around and walked away. Shortly after that the bell rang. I headed to my locker. When I put the combination in I grabbed my books for French class. I shut my locker and turned around. Noah, Jason's friend and my boyfriend before the Tyson incident, was standing behind me. I jumped, startled. "Whoa! I didn't know you were there."

He laughed. "I can tell." I laughed along with him. "So, I came over here because Jason wanted me to ask you what your address is."

"Why didn't he just ask me himself?"

"I don't know. That's what I asked him."

"Oh. Well I'm not telling him. I don't even want to hang out with him but he's practically forcing me to."

"That's because he likes you."

I groaned. "Why does everyone say that?"

He laughed. "Because it's true. He does."

"What, did he tell you he does?"

"No, but it's obvious."

"Why does everyone also say that?"

He laughed. There was a short pause. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Okay. Why did you break up with me two years ago?" He stepped closer to me. "I really liked you. I still really like you."

I sighed. I knew that was coming sooner or later. "Well you know how my brother killed himself because his girlfriend broke up with him?"

"Yeah. I'm so sorry about that, by the way."

"Thanks." I paused. "I don't want to get heartbroken and I'm afraid that if I fall for someone I will. That's why."

"I would never have broken your heart." He put his hand on my cheek and tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "I promise." He leaned in to kiss me but I backed up.

"I can't. I'm sorry."

He looked hurt. "Please give me a chance." He stepped closer to me again. "Please?" He leaned in again and before I could stop him he kissed me.

A few seconds later I pushed him away. "Stop. I can't do this. I just want to be friends."

He sighed. "Okay. Fine. No problem."

"Thanks for understanding. And I really am sorry." I paused. "But if it makes you feel any better, I really liked you too." I gave him an apologetic smile and walked away to class.

Just as I sat down at my seat in the middle of the room the bell rang. The person sitting next to me tapped me on the shoulder. I turned my head to look at them.

"I saw you kissing Noah Cole in the hallway. Are you two dating again?" she whispered to me.

"No, we're not. And he kissed me," I whispered back. I'm surprised she even remembered us dating. That was two years ago.

"Oh, that's too bad. You made a cute couple. But I did hear Jason Hart likes you."

I rolled my eyes. "Everyone's been telling me that. It's not true though."

"It's not?" She looked surprised.

"I doubt it. He's never liked anyone. Who told you anyways?"

"His step-sister Addison."

"She told Riley that too. People seriously need to stop spreading rumors."

"I don't think it's a rumor."

I stared at her shocked. "Really? Why's that?"

"Well, at lunch today I saw him talking to you and the look in his eyes said he likes you. Maybe it's just me but I don't know."

"I'm pretty sure it's just you because I didn't see it but I'm glad I didn't. I don't date anymore."

"Maybe you're just oblivious." She turned back around to the front and I was happy she didn't ask why I don't date.