21

Jackson

"Dad ?" I asked shocked. This day just keeps on getting better and better.

"Are you just going to stand there it are you going to let your old man in ?" He asked. I backed up to give him enough room to let him pass through.

Walking in, he made himself comfortable on the stool in the kitchen. I shut the door and sat.

Yo say that I was shocked would be an understatement. I mean, my dad barely visits. You know, not that I'm complaining or anything like that. For me, having my dad around or have him to talk to always give me motivational complete whatever task I'm doing to do a good deed.

Let's be honest here, I'm not going to go on and on, saying he show affection towards his kids on a daily basis. I'm not going say he was the one whose kisses made everything better. But I will say that's love. Just in a different way.

And I will say he's my father. The man who help make me. The man who raised me. The one who taught me right from wrong. To treat others the way you expect to be treated was his number one rule in his household. Well, maybe it was to always be honest with him...no matter what. He was the man who taught me how to ride a bike, stand up for myself and others... All the things a parent is supposed to do.

So, all in all, having him come over should be a blessing. And it is.

"So," he cleared his throat, pulling me out of my thoughts. "What's her name?" He asks.

"Who's name?" I questioned back, truthfully confused.

"The girl Logan was telling me so much about. The one that has my son wrapped around her itty bitty finger."

Logan. Of course he would do something like that. "Kennedy, Kennedy Lewis. She's my Bestfriend; you know, besides Logan." I answered.

"You're Bestfriend? And I have yet to meet her?"

"Well, if you haven't noticed, you just got here." I stated the obvious. " Besides, wasn't it you who had told Logan and I not to call, whatsoever, because you was on a vacation to get away from us?" I quoted his exact words.

"Don't you use that tone with me !" He replied, chuckling a little at the end; making me laugh. Seeing us like this brings back old times.

"Son, I have something to tell you." My dad said. There it goes. He haven't even been here an hour, an already, he ruined the moment. For a second time, I dazed out, wondering what it is he have to tell me. I mean, it can't be that bad, could it?

Ugh ! I swear, having an internal battle with yourself is exhausting. Both physical and mental. "Okay." I replied, not giving away any emotions. "Go on."

"Well,as you Can see, I'm not getting any younger here." He pointed to himself.

"Oh," I started, "I had no clue." Finished off sarcastically, earning him to click his tongue at me.

"Anyways," he continues. "I want grandkids." I choked up. What the world? I can honestly say that I was not expecting that ... At all. "I don't want to be too old to even hold them."

okay. I get it. I dug into my pocket and pulled out my phone. A few seconds later, she picked up, "Hello ?"

"Hey bestfriend !"

"Hey Bestfriend !" She said back happily. "Guess what?"

"What?" I put her on speaker and sat the phone down on the countertop.

"I did it ! Logan and I went ziplining !"

"Good for you. Listen, my dad's here."

"Okay." It sounded more of a question than a statement.

"He like you already."I continued to try to make conversation with her. " thanks to Logan."

"Oh, okay. Do you need something?" She asked. "I want to go ziplining again." She whined. "Make it quick."

"Okay, okay." I laughed. "He's not getting any younger." I quoted for the second time. "He said he wants grandchildren."

Pause. That's what it was, a pause.

"And? What I'm suppose to do?" She questioned.

"Um, buckle up?" I hesitated.

She ended the call.

We laughed.