8

Something's up with Jackson. At first I thought he walked away because of what I said. But that wasn't it, I could tell. It was something that he wasn't telling me, and I felt betrayed.

He walked into the kitchen and I thought he was just going to get something to drink or eat and come back. I was going to follow him there, but then I didn't. Then, I was going to wait til he come back, but he didn't.

So, I walked through the double doors that led me to the kitchen. I tried to tip toe but I didn't know that he was already facing the doors. As soon as he looked up and saw me, his face dropped. For a second he looked scared and my heart dropped at the sight.

I couldn't imagine him looking so lost, so broken. I wouldn't want anything to happen to him. He's my first best friend, the first person I ever cared about, the first person who ever cared about me.

"What wrong?" I asked. And once this words came out my mouth, he froze. I didn't know what to say, so I just looked at him. My eyes constantly went from his to the piece of folded paper he was holding back to him.

"Nothing." He replied. I could tell he was lying, because he scratched the back of his head. It's something he tend to do.

"Okay, then." I said slowly. He looked at me and then back down. I wanted to press further, but the look he gave me afterwards told me otherwise. So I kept my lips shut. And then I opened it again. "Can I read the paper then?"

"Uhm, it's nothing." He said as he ripped it to pieces and threw it away. "Come on." He said, Gesturing with his hands for me to come to him.

At first I was hesitant, but then I walked towards him. I let him embrace me into a tight hug, because I really needed it. "What's wrong?" I asked again. I really wanted to know.

"Nothing."

"I thought we were best friends." I mumbled against his chest.

"We are."

"Then why do you keep lying to me?"

"I'm sorry. I'm just trying to protect you. I care about you so much."

"Then why won't you tell me what's going on. You're leaving me out." I said, leaning back a little to examine at his face.

He went tensed and hugged me tighter, "I just don't want you to leave me."

"I have nowhere to go, stupid." A smile smile tugged at the corners of his lip. And it made me smile because I knew I made him smile.

__________

Jackson

"I have nowhere to go, stupid." She said. And I had a smile on the corner of my lips. I looked down and she looked up at me.

I never knew I was capable of protecting someone other than my family. No matter what she tend to say, she always make me smile.

I let my arms fall from around her, but she kept hers around me. I was just standing, thinking. Thinking about who would've wrote the note and how it got on my countertop.

If whoever this person is, is working for Charles, then they are both going to die. I guarantee.

Although she felt left out, I didn't want to tell her. I didn't want her sad and crying, thinking that she'll die. But I won't let her. I won't let anyone hurt her and cause her pain. Because I can't stand the thought of her crying. Once was enough.

"Promise me that you won't lie to me anymore." She mumbled against my shirt, interrupting my thoughts. That question caught me off guard. I can't believe she thinks I'm not trusting her. I care about her; more than anything. Even though she might not know this, she's my first girl best friend. So of course I wouldn't mess it up.

"I promise." I gave her my word, but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep that promise. She hugged me tighter and I smiled. I didn't want to give her hopes up and I didn't want her mad at me. It's official; I'm the worst best friend a girl in the world could have. And this girl is the best. I couldn't ask for a better best friend and I'm really glad she said yes. I need to tell her, but not now. The last thing I want is for her to hate me because of my fucking brother. But I have no choice.

I'll do my best to keep my promise to her. Anything I have to do. It may be hard, but I'll manage to get through it. Why? Because if she's happy then I'm more than happy.