7

I couldn't believe Jackson did that. He full out embarrassed me. Of course they were people I didn't even know, but still. I would've gave him my number, I just got lost in my own world for a second. He could've waited instead of making a scene. He'll get it anyway. He's something isn't he?

The ride was long, but it wasn't. Every once in a while, Jackson would glance at me from the corner of his eye.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked once he stopped the car at a red light.

At first I thought he wasn't going to answer me, but boy was I wrong. "No. I'm not mad at you, Lewis."

"Your not, huh?" He shook his head twice. "Okay. Then why did you use my last name?"

He started the car back up and drove off. The whole time he kept his mouth shut and I leaned my head on the window and closed my eyes.

"So, you're middle name?" He said, breaking the silence. For some reason it shocked me. I didn't expect there would be talking in the car, let alone him talking.

"Marie." I said. Hopefully it was only loud enough for me to hear it.

"Kennedy Marie Lewis." He repeated, testing it out on his tongue. I couldn't do anything but look at his, head resting on my right hand. A nod of his head and he said, "I like it."

"Why?" I whined. "You shouldn't like it."

"Why shouldn't I like it?"

"Because I hate it. It's stupid."

He laughed a little and shook his head. "Whatever you say, best friend."

"What's yours?" I asked. I wanted to know everything and anything I could possibly get about him. To me, he was perfect...not that I would tell him.

"Avon'té."

My mouth fell open, but nothing came out. He pulled the car into his garage, "cat got your tongue?" He asked amusingly. He got out the car in what seemed like slow motion and I had to put hand over my mouth to hold back a laugh.

I rolled down the window and yelled, "Are you not going to open the door for me?" The nerve of this boy. He stopped on the step and came back down. "Come on, Kennedy." He said as he opened the door for me and pulled me out.

Left hand wrapped around mines, he put the key in the door and twisted it. He pushed the door opened and led me in first. "Thank you, my good sir." I said in an ugly sounding accent.

"You're welcome, and you should really work that accent, but you don't hear me complaining about it."

"And they say I throw shade at people."

"For your benefit, don't ever say that again." He stepped away from me and went into the kitchen.

_________________

Jackson

I stepped away from Kennedy and walked in the other direction. The things she say makes me smile. That's one hell of a best friend right there.

"And they say I throw shade at people." I wonder what made her say that. I wanted to laugh so much, but I refrained myself from doing so.

As soon as I walked to the kitchen, I went to the refrigerator and got myself a water bottle. I thought Kennedy was going to follow me in here, but I guess I was wrong. I closed the fridge door and noticed there was a piece of folded paper on the kitchen counter.

For some reason I didn't want to open it. I don't know, but I had the feeling that it was going to be serious. For a second I was scared to unfold the piece of paper. I was scared of what it might say. Maybe I was scared because I thought I knew what it had to say but I wanted to know for sure.

And when I finally unfolded the paper, I read it. And let me tell you, I was right. Totally right. But there was no way in hell that I was going to give up that easily. I would always protect Kennedy as much as I can. Honestly? Because I don't want anything to happen to her. I don't want to ever see her cry. And more importantly, I want my best friend to always have her goofy smile on her face because then she's happy, and so am I.

My intentions towards Kennedy was to protect and love her. Never hurt her. So when she came through the double doors leading to the kitchen and asked "what's wrong?" I sort of froze. I would hate to lie to her, but at this time I had no choice. It's for her own good. Best friend or not. With or without me, her safety and well-being will always be my number one priority.

"Nothing." I said scratching the back of my head as my eyes met hers for a split second.

"Okay then." She said slowly. Looking at her face, I knew that I didn't convince her well enough for this to be over.