6

"Yeah, sure." I said when I was in the middle of eating with a smile displaying on my lips. To use the word happy wouldn't be the right use of terms. I was overjoyed. This was so exciting.

But, there's still this feeling that he's hiding something from me. Like, this morning, for example,he avoided the question and just moved on to the next topic. And I really wanted to know the answer to my question. If we're going to be best friends, then he needs to be honest with me.

And then there's the feeling of someone constantly being there for me when I need it the most. A shoulder to cry on and someone who will make me laugh at any price. It's things like these that overpower the negative thoughts.

Once I was done in my own little world, I glanced back down to notice him still leaning on one knee by the booth beside me. I raised a brow at him and he smiled cheekily. Then, his face expression changed in less than two point five seconds. From the way I was looking at him, it looked as if he was thinking about something. His eyes were squinted and brows furrowed with a slight frown. If I do say so myself, that face looked good.

"What are you doing?" Okay, so maybe I was a little concerned.

"Nothing." He said just a little too quickly for me to say he was telling the truth.

"Oh, and not to mention, your a terrible liar."

"Am not!" He retorted.

"So you admit you were lying?" I asked taking a big gulp from my milkshake to finish it.

"No. And that's not lady-like, best friend."

"And lying isn't good, best friend."  I could tell that he mentally scolded me. But instead of being a man and saying it out loud, he just smiled. And get this"I wasn't lying. Now, let's finish getting to know each other."

"Okay. Hmm," I said while tapping my index finger on my chin. Honestly, I didn't know what to ask. And thinking of a question was really difficult. And then it hit me. "How did you get me out of the hellhole?"

"Uhm, I talked him out of it?" But instead of saying it as a statement, he said as a question.

"How would I know?" This dude. Im not up for violence, but I was tempted to slap him across the face right now.

"My turn!" He said excitedly as he successfully ignored my previous question.

"You didn't even answer my question. So technically, it's not your turn and it's still mine." I said with a stick of my tongue.

"Well if you want to get technical, you asked a question, and I answered. Therefore, it's not your turn and it's mine." He replied as he stuck his tongue back out at me in mocking tone. 

"I hate you." I replied to his sarcastic remark.

"You love me, best friend!" He said cheekily and gave me a smirk. The things I want to do to wipe that smirk off his face. "Anyways," he prompted with a flick of his wrist, "any boyfriends?"

"Why would you want to know that?" I asked. More because I didn't want to answer that question.

"Because I need to know."

"How so?"

"Because were best friends." That didn't mean anything. Im guessing he saw my expression, because then he pleaded. "Come on, Kennedy, please?" In return, I gave him a blunt stare. "Fine. Can I get your number?"

Wait. What?

To that one, I had nothing to say. He looked at me with pleading eyes. That was cute, if I must admit.

_______________

Jackson

"Fine. Can I have your number?" I asked. What can I say? I couldn't help it. I got to admit, I like her sassy, sarcastic attitude. Kind of hot if you ask me.

At first I waited patiently, like a normal person would do in public. And then I had enough. It was a yes or no question. Although I was secretly hoping that she'll say yes. But I couldn't wait anymore.

" KENNEDY! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE." I screamed as I jumped out of the booth and in front of her. I dropped down to my knees and pulled her out of her side of the booth by grabbing onto her hands.

I successfully got her steady on her feet and got back up from the floor up. "KENNEDY WHATEVER YOUR MIDDLE NAME IS LEWIS."

She looked around at everyone's eyes staring at us. "Jackson," her eyes got slightly wide, "stop."

"I will. After you tell me." I knew I had her. Her face turned a light shade of pink as she glanced around and then her eyes came back at me.

"No. Stop, Jackson."

"Ugh." I got up like nothing happened and put money on the counter for the elderly woman. And I left a decent amount of tip along with it. "Come on, best friend, I'm leaving.

While everyone gave me stares of  disapproval, I walked out like boss.