Family Bonding

Jared was quiet most of the way home, he didn't speak until we were well into the city.

"I don't know what I'm suppose to tell Marcus."

I glance over at him. "What?"

"What am I suppose to tell Marcus?" He questions again.

I shrug. "Don't tell him anything."

He puts the car in park looking over at me. "I just want you to know, that the only reason I'm not telling Marcus is because you need to make your own mistakes."

"You think I'm making a mistake?"

He turns off the car. "I think anything involving Klaus is a mistake." He sighs. "But regardless of what I think you're an adult, I may have accepted that fact but Marcus hasn't. I don't have to sit here and lecture you on trust, life, and so on. I think where you've came from is lesson enough. But I want you to see things from Marcus' perspective, he sees you as an injured bird we rescued from a cage, and I don't quite think he's ready to let you go. He looks at you like a second chance, Serena. He wishes to protect you from the world and everything that wishes you harm. It's his way of redeeming himself. Although the death of his sister wasn't his fault he still blames himself." His eyes meet mine. "He loves you, Serena. I love you, and neither one of us wants to see you get hurt."

I nod letting out a small sigh. "I know Jared. I wouldn't be here without you two, and for that, I am extremely grateful. You're the only family I've ever really had, and I appreciate that you two care so much." 

He gives me a playful smirk. "And I love you too would have also been acceptable."

I roll my eyes gently shoving his shoulder. I get out of the car heading up the steps.

"Where have you guys been?" Marcus questions as we entered the house.

Jared gives me a quick glance. "We were just out and about. She'll get cabin fever trapped in here all day."