On my way to the stairs, I see Hamza, Adnan, and a couple more guys from school talking in the front foyer. When I glimpse at Adnan, I feel nothing. No butterflies, no clammy hands, no dry throat. None of that. Nada. But that doesn't mean he's a bad person.

But as I glance at Hamza, he winks at me. I freeze as I take in his black hair, green eyes, and Ivory coloured cultural clothes for the wedding. Astagfirullah Layla!

Butterflies in my stomach.

Clammy hands.

Dry throat.

Oh, and how did I forget? 

Crimson blushing cheeks.

I look sternly at him, and as I go upstairs, I can see him trying to strain a smile.

As I enter the room, I am faced with a panicked Umme.

"What if I trip and fall? What if my makeup smudges and everyone starts laughing? What if he changes his mind at the last minute?" She says frantically, and it takes everything in me to not laugh. I know, I know, I'm such a good friend.

"Umme, he's sitting downstairs with a 100 Watt smile on his face. He's ecstatic he's getting married to you. Why wouldn't he be? It's you Umme!" I tell her, and she visibly calms down.

"About falling down, and messing up the makeup... I don't think we can help you with that." I say laughing, and she glares at me.

"You're such a great friend Layla." Umme tells me.

"I know." I say with a smile.

"I was being sarcastic." She says and before I can say anything, Saafiya interrupts our melodramatic conversation.

"The fifteen minutes are over. Let's get this Nikkah over with." She says and I see Umme's smile widen like never before.

We take her downstairs slowly (and carefully might I add), and have her sit down on the leather couch with Ali beside her. The chiffon scarf she wears covers her eyes, and now I truly realize how much more mature she has gotten over the years. I smile, and leave the room, as it's tradition for the bride, groom, parents, and elders to be only present for the Nikah. The last thing I see before I finally leave is the Imam handing Umme the papers and her picking up the blue Parker ballpoint pen.

In the living room, there is quiet chatter among the women but no words are exchanged between Saafiya and I. I don't know why but I feel butterflies flutter within my stomach, as I think about mystery man.

Some family friends that Saafiya, and I share come to hug us, and kiss our cheeks like close Aunts. Some of them come to talk to me about how I'm getting married in 2 weeks, and others aren't notfied about me getting married; which I'm grateful for in a way. Overall it takes every ounce of patience in me to not tell them that I want a break from all the questions about the wedding.

I was ready for the wedding mind you. It's not the idea of marriage that scared me but who was going to sit beside me as I signed those Nikah papers. I trust my parents in finding me a spouse that is pious, and good in character, but a lingering thought of desire towards someone in particular still made my heart beat a little faster.

As Umme's mom slowly guided her to the living room, the volume suddenly increased, and everyone in the room went to her to say their congratulations and give their blessings to the newly wedded bride.

Most guests left to go to the banquet hall where the Walima would be held in an hour, but Umme, Ali, and their families stayed behind for a while. I give Umme another hug before going in Saafiya's car. Mom and dad left with Asma's family to go to the banquet hall, so I carpooled with Saafiya.