Chapter 3

As I walked into the house, I noticed something was different. First of all, mom and dad were home, and they were talking to someone and there were also shoes and luggages in the front. I didn't take off my hijab and walked in the living room.

I said Assalam O Alaikom to mom, dad, and the man and the woman in front of me. The woman was in an Abaya and the man was most likely her husband from the looks of it.

"Layla, this is Auntie Lubna and Uncle Nasir. You used to play with their son when you were younger."

"Remember when Layla and Hamza used to tell us that they would get married one day, Lubna?" My mom said to Auntie Lubna and I cringed. They probably were talking about someone else and not him.

"Mom, do you know where the soccer ball is." That voice! It was him. Oh no! I don't turn around.

"It's in the front and don't go just yet. You remember Layla?""I turn and wave a little."

"Oh you're Layla." I glare at him.

"Wait you two don't remember each other?" My mom says.

"Oh no, it's just that we have a class together at school Auntie Khadeejah." He says to my mom.

"You two can carpool then. You do know how far it  is to get for Umme and Saafiya to come and pick you up from our house. Again it is, if you don't mind Lubna." My mom says.

"No, no. He'll be fine to drop and pick her up. Plus you know it is in the best interest of everyone, right?" Auntie Lubna says and everyone nods.

Wait what's going on? Hamza seems like he understands and is smirking. Argg, why do I have to be the only one out the loop?

"So Auntie Lubna and Uncle Nasir are going to stay with us until the end of the year, Layla because they want to get a house next year." I nod.

"I'm going to be up in my room." I say and go up.

I sit by the windowsill in my bedroom and do my homework. I grab the second textbook from my bag and start my psych homework. As I'm writing down the fifth answer, Hamza walks in and luckily I'm still wearing my hijab.

"What do you want?" I say bluntly.

"So do you know what's going on?"

"Um no. Why? Do you have any idea?"

"Ya, but you aren't going to like it."

"Just tell me already."

"Nope, I'll make you suffer." He says and leaves. He makes me so mad.

"We have to have some boundaries." I say firmly.

"What do you mean?"

"You have to knock before you come in and we aren't telling anyone about us carpooling together."

"Why, I thought we were closer than that Layla." He says mocking hurt. I glare at him for a good five seconds before I tell him to leave and he listens.

The next day, I wake up 10 minutes earlier than usual and get ready. I read Surah Yaseen and Manzil before I go downstairs. I'm feeling more nervous than usual and to top it off, I have to carpool with Hamza.

Today I decide to wear a maroon skirt, a black sweatshirt, and a navy blue scarf. It's getting colder out, so I decide to stop wearing full sleeve shirts and get my sweatshirts out.

I say Assalam O Alaikom to everyone and make breakfast, which is scrambled eggs and a toast with hummus. Mom tells me to make the same for Hamza too and I make him the same breakfast as me. A couple of minutes later, he walks in.

"Auntie Khadeejah, Jaza Kallah for making me this breakfast. How did you know I like hummus?"

"Hamza beta (child), I didn't make it, Layla did and we only have it in the house because of Layla."

"Oh ok Jaza Kallah Khair Layla."

"Wayakum ." I say without looking up.

We say Allah Fiz to everyone once we are finished breakfast and go outside. I don't know if I should sit in the back or the front, but that question is soon answered when he opens the door for me. I say Jaza Kallah and get in.

Luckily I told Saafiya and Umme that a family friend could drop me off from now on, or else I wouldn't hear the end of it from them.

AN...

Ok Assalam O Alaikom everyone. This is the Chapter 3 of the book and if you have any suggestions please feel free to comment below. If anyone can make me a banner or a book cover, Jazakallah Khair, as I will probably do it in the summer holidays when I have time.

I might post the next chapter today as well, but if I don't, In Sha Allah, I will post it no later than June 13th.

Another thing you might notice is that the Arabic customs might be a bit different so please tell me a couple of words in the comments and also don't be offended please if I get something wrong as I, like Layla am only half Arab ;)