Chapter 55 - Moving On

***** Sarah's Point of View *****

I gave a satisfied smile as I overlooked the city view from my new apartment. The tradesmen gave me all a small smile as they left, leaving me to my own devices.

I couldn't believe it had been an entire week since I'd left Brendon and Kaitlyn. It had been an awesome week. I had stayed at a hotel until I was able to get an apartment, and I'd bought myself a fair new share of clothes. I was due to start my new job on Monday, and until then, I was just planning to relax and settle in, maybe introduce myself to my new neighbours.

I walked downstairs back to my car and reluctantly opened the trunk to grab the final few boxes of stuff. I sighed when I reached the pile of things that once belonged to my 'family'.

I lifted Kaitlyn's blanket up and held it in my hands, remembering the time that Brendon had accidently cut it in two. I lightly ran my finger along the black stitching, smiling slightly as I remembered Kaitlyn's face when he returned it to her, stitched back together.

Next came a bottle of Brendon's cologne, and some of his candy. I tried not to focus on the days before we'd gotten married where we'd just stay up late, laughing and talking and eating this.

Guilt started to creep in about what I'd done. I hadn't even called to check that Brendon was okay, or Kaitlyn for that matter.

I gasped as I remembered the bottles of emergency medication in my purse. Brendon's, Kaitlyn's, had they been okay without these? What if they'd had an attack?!

I fumbled for my phone and dialed Brendon's number, hoping that he'd answer, hoping that he'd be okay. I'd just drop the stuff off and go. That would be it...

"Sarah." Gerard said flatly.

"Gerard? Why are you on Brendon's phone?" I asked, a tad confused.

"Well, considering that Brendon doesn't have anybody else around him at the moment, Lindsey and I are watching his belongings until he gets out of the institution."

"I-Institution?" I stammered.

"Uh huh." Gerard said. "He's been institutionalised. You leaving him didn't help his state, plus when Kaitlyn found out, she went into cardiac arrest."

"WHAT?!" I shrieked.

"But, ya know, that doesn't concern you. After all, you did abandon them in their time of need..."

"Gerard I had reasons!"

"And refused help. And now we're here. Goodbye Sarah."

"Wait! No! Gerard!"

The call ended with a few beeps.

I had no clue what to do. Everything had just fallen apart and it seemed like I was useless. At this point there was no way I'd be forgiven, though I longed to just know if they'd be alright.

I sat down beside my car, tears beginning to run down my face. Both of them, BOTH OF THEM, were in complete meltdown. Both of them were locked up away from the outside world from the mental damage I had given them. This was all my fault, and I knew it.

"Excuse me misus, are you alright?"

"I-I'm f-fine." I whispered. "I-I'll be fine."

"You don't look fine."

"No, no it's alright." I confirmed, wiping away some of my tears.

The girl I was talking to sat down across from me. "Misus, you don't look alright at all."

"W-well I'm not r-really, b-but why do you c-care?"

She shrugged. "Because I know that not being alright sucks and I want to help."