44 - The Wonders of Alcohol (Part 2)

I walked back into the room and handed the stuff to Sarah. "Pills are two, twice a day, the box from before is emergency medication and the inhaler is if in case she has a meltdown at home and can't breathe. It's pretty strong so it should only take one puff." I explained.

Sarah nodded. "Thank you so much for all your help."

I smiled lightly. "It's really not a problem. Just want to make sure Kaitlyn gets better."

She smiled. "Well, you're doing a good job. Thanks."

"I'm glad. I don't have much else to say, so is there anything you want to know?"

"Is there anything I can do to help her?" Sarah asked.

I nodded. "A few small things. Make sure she takes the medication, if you can, see what triggers her without causing too much grief and I suppose just carry on normally. Its also good if you just sit down and have chat about stuff too. Make sure you stay close to one another so that you two or three I suppose can rely on each other."

Sarah nodded. "Thank you."

"I actually have a meeting now, so I have to go, but I shall be back as soon as possible." I stated. "The other nurses in the ward should be able to help with anything, if not they'll find me."

*****Sarah's Point of View*****

I felt my phone vibrating so I took it out and saw the work was calling.

"I'm sorry guys. I'll be back in a second." I promised, leaving the room.

I picked up. "Hello?"

"Sarah? Do you know how much longer you are going to be on leave because we are currently sort of having a shortage of staff." My boss explained.

I sighed. "I really need to be here for my daughter Ned. I don't know when I can come in. Maybe when school starts? I may have to cut back on the hours though."

"You can't stay on leave forever, Sarah. I can't let you cut back on hours, I'm afraid. If you can't make it here anymore, just tell me so I can get a new staff member. I can't keep you on if you're never going to show up, I need staff that will actually get work done!"

I sighed. "I'm sorry, Ned. I just, there's a lot going on right now! My daughter is in the hospital, my husband just got out of hospital, and we're moving house, and it's all very busy. Look, I'll be there as soon as I can, alright?"

"Not good enough Sarah." Ned sighed. "I need you here next week."

"I can't!" I tried to say. "That's when Kaitlyn gets out of hospital hopefully and then we're moving and I'm sorry Ned but I can't!"

"Well, can you work remotely?"

I gulped. "I can try."

"Then that'll have to be good enough." He huffed. "Next week Sarah. That's the latest you can start." He instructed before hanging up the call abruptly.

I sighed and threw my head in my hands. I needed the money, but Kaitlyn and Brendon needed me. It was a real conundrum.

I eventually walked back into the room and felt both their eyes staring right into me, as if they were trying to convince me to not go.

"I'm going to start working again next week." I told them nervously. "Remotely, of course, so I can be here."

"Is that what the call was about?" Brendon asked nervously.

"Yeah..." I sighed. "Ned wants me back at work."

"Where do you work anyway, Sarah?" Kaitlyn asked.