[ 1 ]

She sat alone. Once again, being outcasted by the difference that was her against the 20 plus other kids in the god forsaken building.

She sat on the plush crimson red couch, her knees locked against her chest and her right arm wrapped around her legs as if it where the end of the world.

Her free hand lingered over the same sided foot. Gently grazing over the bulging veins that appeared when she flexed her toes a certain way.

Of course she wasn't alone, no. She had someone. Though, not in her age group. Her chestnut blonde hair draping down after getting tired of the position beind her ear.

She wasn't the best at making friends, and most likely the worst person to recruit on a speech due to her lack of words. But she understood. Her best-- and only friend, understood.

"Li Li?" Small foot steps padded their way into the room. With a slight push on the white wooden door.

At the familiar call of her nickname she knew who it was and a small smile tugged at her lips as her chin lifted from the small between her chest and kneecaps.

"Hello Mercy, how are you doing?"

The small girl padded over and thrusted her arms up in signal to be lifted from the ground.

She gently placed her arms underneath her armpits and lifted her up, placing the toddler on her thighs.

"Hi Li Li" she repeated with a giggle. Twisting her body so stuby legs were on either side of her. She placed her hands on either sides of her face.

"Your sad?" She cocked her head to the side. Most likely asking herself.

The teen sighed "I'm fine, Mercy" she gave a soft chuckle as the infant softly tapped her cheek.

"Smile! You always look better when you smile!"

"What? I don't look good now?" She teased

"No." Mercy deadpanned as Elizabeth laughed. "See, look. Better"

And it was true. She did feel better now than she was feeling just 2 minutes ago. She lifted the child from under the dough she calls thighs and placed her down, next to her on the couch.

She figured the child had a lot to say, speaking that its nearly 5 until noon and she just got out of adoption hours.
And she was right.

"Do you want to hear about my day?" The child asked. Reaching for her hand to hold as she began swinging her legs.

"Fire away shortcake." she smiled. Grasping onto her small, milky coca colored smooth hand.

"This woman and her husband came up to me and asked me things and signed a paper. That's all that happened. Oh! And Mrs. Reina gave me a rubber duck!" She squeaked

The elder child's eyes nearly bulged out as she hopped up from the cushion.

"What!" She gasped

"I know right! I named it squishy and it squea--"

"No no no, Mercy" she got down on one knee in front of her. "The couple. I'm talking about the couple."

"Oh, they said something about next Tueshday, Tueashhday," she pouted "Tu-es-day" she still had problems pronouncing certain words, such as the days of the week and months.

"Mercy... Your being adopted!"

The small child's morphed into different expressions before she bowed her head in shame.

"Mercy what's wrong..."

A single tear fell from her eye as the brunette brushed it off. "Its okay.. Take your time.."

She stumbled upon finding her words "I-I won't see you ever again..."

She didn't know what to say... Mercy arrived at the Orphanage a month or two after Elizabeth. The poor child was in the ICU for nearly a year before she came along and met the distraught teen. She gave her hope. Happiness even. And she didn't think that all those memories will soon fade away in the time span of 4 days.

She wasn't ready to let go, and neither was her best friend.

•]![•