My Quarterback - 1

Start from the beginning

I continued to stare at my empty room with sad eyes and a few tears pricked at the back of my eyes. I grabbed my acceptance letter from off of my desk and folded it carefully before slipping it into my purse. I gave the room one last look before turning around and walking out of my room, shutting the door behind me. My parents were busying themselves downstairs, my mother has been vaccuming the same spot for the past hour and my father was wiping down the windows for the third time. They figured if they busied themselves with cleaning every inch of the house, they wouldn't think about their only daughter leaving for college.   

I leaned against the door frame as I watched my parents wipe down the windows and vacuum the carpet. A lone tear left my mother's eye before she hastily wiped it away, she still hasn't noticed my presence. "It's going to be okay." My voice startled them and they turned to face me. "I'm only four hours away, if you need me to come home I'll be home as soon as I can."   

"We're going to miss you sweetie." My father told me as he leant set the windex onto the window pane and my mother set the vaccum against the wall and then my dad brought me in for a tight hug. My mother let out a small cry as she launched herself at me.   

"I'm going to miss you so much Ellie." My mother cried, clinging to me tightly and not wanting to let go. "Promise me you'll call every night."   

"Mom, every night?" I questioned her with a small smile. I knew this would be hard for her but evernight. There wasn't going to be anything for us to talk about.  

"Every night Ellie. I expect it."   

"Yes ma'am."   

My parents and I gradually made our way outside and on to the lawn, where my mother continued to cling to me, not letting me go. My car was packed and full of gas, I had the GPS set to the apartment which I was expected in, in a little over four hours. "Mom, if I don't leave now I'm going to be late."   

She reluctantly let go of me and gave me a small kiss on the cheek. "Call me when you get there." She said to me, "And no texting and driving. If you need to get a hold of anyone pull over."   

"Of course." I gave each of my parents one last hug and kiss before settling in my car and started off in the direction of the campus. I was finally getting away from home, I was going to start my future. And it was all thanks to Miss Stewart.     

* * *  

I had arrived at the apartment just in time. I pulled up to a bigger apartment with two cars in the driveway. Parking my car I took a deep breath and locked it, I made my way towards the door but before I could knock it was thrown open and two smiling girls stood before me.   

"You must be Ellie Nichols." The taller one spoke with a slight southern drawl. I gave her a small smile and a nod.

"Well I'm Dakota Pierce, Miss Stewart's niece, and this is Margaret Thompson but we just call her Mar, it's much easier." The taller one, Dakota, spoke again. 

"Nice to meet you." I told them. They each grabbed a bag and led me inside the house and towards what I assumed was my room. It was a medium sized room, there was already a bed placed in the middle of the room. A dresser was on the closet wall as well as a closet and a television was perched on the dresser and I had a window directly across another window from the house over.   

"You'll love the view." Mar said with a smile. "When Dakota and I first came to this apartment we fought over this room until we decided that neither of us should have it. So when you came along, we decided you should have it, as sort of a welcoming present."   

"What's so great about the view?" I asked. "It's just a window."  It wasn't as if looking out to see a random house and a window was that great of a view.