Shah Rukh Khan

"You did what?" I sigh angrily as Kajol flattens the collar of my shirt around the silk of the bow tie.
"I just spoke to him to clear up what is actually going on. Shah Rukh he was really confused," Kajol doesn't look me in the eye as she begins to wrap the silk fabric into a bow.
"I had already spoken to him," I say, "Aryan doesn't need to know everything." Kajol grits her teeth and turns away walking towards the dressing table. I slide on my jacket and stand watching her as she applies some lipstick.
"He knows about Gauri," she finally lets slip casually, "but you'd know that if you weren't sneaking off all the time."
"Aryan is my son," I shout causing Kajol to get up off the stool, "I know what's best for Aryan. Talking to Aryan about the baby and about his mother isn't your job, you're not his mum you're just my girlfriend." The words cut like a knife and I storm out of the room hearing Kajol slam the door shut behind me. I shouldn't have said that last bit. I turn back to the door and rest my hand against the cool wood. I feel a tugging at the bottom of my jacket and turn to see Aryan in a miniature matching suit and dickybow. I smile at him and crouch down until I'm at eye level.
"You shouldn't shout at Kajol," he pulls his lips down into a frown, "she was only being nice and you didn't explain it very well but Kajol did. I like Kajol papa, please down shout at her." I pull Aryan into a hug. I shouldn't have shouted at Kajol I should have just kept my cool but with everything that's going on its hard. I mean Gauri wants me to have Aryan on alternate weekends because she's fed up of not spending time with him on the weekends but we had agreed she could ask to have him on the weekend and I could ask to have him in the week! And then there's the whole baby thing-Kajol is still in denial about it and I'm finding it hard to listen to her crying through the night. The thing is I don't want to tell Kajol, I don't want to worry her because she is so destroyed at the moment even if she won't admit it.
"I'm sorry Aryan," I smile at him and he runs off towards the sofa. I place my hand on the door again only for it to open and for Kajol to walk into me. She looks stunning in a purple sari adorned with hand sewn beads.
"You look," I let my eyes wander over her but they stop at her face, her lips in a straight line her eyes empty. Stunning. That's how she looks.
"We should go," She puts her hand out and Aryan clambers off the sofa and grabs her hand. If I'm completely honest with myself Kajol could be Aryan's mum, there is something about the two of them when they are together it's like magic. I follow them out of the apartment and down to a car waiting for us. We get driven in silence towards the screening of Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Kajol sits staring out of the window and Aryan is too excited about finally being allowed to come to a film premier. When we arrive the cameras start flashing and I see Kajol brace herself plastering a smile on her face. I get out of the car and rush round to open the door for her and she climbs out all smiles and waves. I pick up Aryan and put him on my hip following Kajol through the flashing cameras and screaming fans.
"Shah Rukh, Kajol, how does it feel to be at a public event as a couple for the first time," a reporter asks as we pose for pictures. I inhale a deep breathe, God Kajol isn't going to say something harsh to get back at me is she?
"It feels exciting," Kajol smiles, "we both really enjoyed making this film and now we are both going to really enjoy watching it together." She looks to me for support.
"Yeah, it doesn't really feel different," I smile at Kajol, "I guess we've always been a couple at these events." That really gets the press laughing.
"And Kajol how do you feel knowing Ajay is attending?" The smile on Kajol's face doesn't even falter.
"It's a free country I guess all I can say is I hope he enjoys the film," Kajol shrugs and I feel her hand reach for mine and squeeze it.
"Isn't this your first event after the loss of your child?" Shit. I should have realised there would be questions about that.
"Life goes on," Kajol's smile fades and she pulls me after her into the lobby of the cinema.
"I am so sorry!" Karan rushes over guilt written all over your face.

"It's okay," Kajol smiles and removes her hand from mine hugging Karan.
"I told the people at the door not to give him a ticket but the ones I told didn't spread the word," Karan continues.

"It's fine," Kajol tries to convince herself. Karan steps out of the hug and from the expression on his face it clearly isn't fine.
"He's managed to acquire a seat next to yours," Karan lets slip slowly. Kajol rises her eyebrows and purses her lips.
"It's fine," she hugs Karan again before walking towards the bar area where all the actors and crew are milling around.
"Kajol I can sit there," I whisper into her ear but she turns to me, her mouth in a straight line, her eyes angry.
"It's fine," she hisses, "I'm sure your girlfriend can cope." Then she walks off in the direction of the Bachchans and gets entangled in hugs, leaving me with Aryan who seems to oblivious to what's just happened.