Kajol

My eyes open to brilliantly blinding white, white lights, white walls, white sheets. As my eyes adjust I see two figures emerge on either side of a bed, my left arm outstretched. Slowly things come into focus. Ajay on the right in a black top and jeans, a leather jacket slung on a chair his arms crossed angrily across his chest staring at my outstretched arm. Shah Rukh on the left in a white shirt and black jeans his eyes stained red leaning on the back of a hospital chair. Then I notice my hand, a drip coming out of it and a hospital band on my wrist. I let my hand fall to the bed and look left to right over and over listening. It's almost as if Shah Rukh's name is echoing through the white room. Ajay sniggers and I look at him.
"Ajay," it comes out as a croak and barely recognisable as my voice or a word.
"The police will want to speak to you," is all he spits as he grabs his jacket and leaves the room letting the white door bang behind him making the white blinds rattle. I turn to Shah Rukh who collapses onto the side of my bed, fresh tears in his eyes. My head suddenly hurts, a stinging sensation that burns and burns making me think my head must be on fire.
"Wha-" the word gets stuck in my dry throat and Shah Rukh puts his hand on top of mine.
"I thought you were dead. It was all my fault. I suggested leaving and then you just changed and got into my car and drove and... oh god the last thing I said to you," his voice cracks but he continues, "you know three other RTCs came into this hospital whilst I was in the reception and all three of them didn't make it and they weren't telling us anything about you and I thought the worst." Tears stream down his cheeks pooling at his chin and dripping onto my forearm.
"I'm sorry," I manage to mutter but Shah Rukh just shakes his head.
"If I'd lost you..." Shah Rukh looks down at the thought and in that moment I realise I couldn't live without Shah Rukh.
"I..." my voice makes Shah Rukh's head snap up to look at me, "I want to be with you." It sounds stupid coming out of my mouth, like a child.
"Kajol," Shah Rukh just squeezes my hand.
"No Shah Rukh I need to be with you," the words are coming fast now even though my throat feels so dry and scratchy, "I love you, and I can't live without you." It's like realisation settles over Shah Rukh, the tears begin to stop and a smile begins to play at the corner of his lips.
"I want, need, love you too," he smiles. That is all I want to hear, all I need to hear for me to make my decision. I'd go with my heart. I know Ajay isn't as horrible as he seemed in my dream/epiphany-thing but I couldn't get what he had said out of my head. He had called me a rubbish wife, he wants a baby, he hates the fact I'm known as Kajol, he is going in a different direction.
"Shah Rukh I'm being serious," it's like my salivary glands begin to work because my mouth is coated with a layer making it easier to speak, "I don't want to be with Ajay anymore." Shah Rukh nods his head, whether he is agreeing or not I'm unsure my head is still burning.
"You... Me... Us," he starts to say and I convince myself he's braking up with me, telling me he loves Gauri and doesn't want to see me anymore, "I want it more than anything too." Tears swim into my eyes and I can't stop them overflowing pouring down my cheeks like a waterfall. All I can do is nod my head. This is really happening. This thing between me and Shah Rukh is becoming more than an affair-it's becoming real.
"The doctors say they can discharge you tomorrow if your BP becomes stable and there's no swelling on your brain," Shah Rukh informs me, "that's when I'll tell Gauri that I want a divorce. I'll move out of the house and prop myself up in that apartment."
"I'll tell Ajay then too," I agree with Shah Rukh, "I'll move out too and we can both stay in the apartment until we can sell it and get a nicer one. We should keep us on the low though, you don't want the press to find out." With that Shah Rukh releases my hand and stands up. He smiles at me before leaning down and kissing the top of my head.
"Till tomorrow," he whispers before turning and making his way to the door. He opens it and I can see Ajay stand in the corridor. How much had he heard? Had he heard anything?
"Thanks," Ajay snarls at Shah Rukh barging past him into the hospital room letting the door slam shut making the blinds rattle again. It makes my head feel like someone has just shot a gun by my ear, a headache cracking across my skull and brain. Ajay looks over his shoulder to check whether the doors closed and Shah Rukh's left before he turns to me.
"Seriously, you're first words are his name," he flings his hand in the direction of the door, "I'm your husband or are you forgetting that? What is wrong with you? Why were you driving his car? Why is he at the hospital?" I don't know what to say so just shake my head in confusion. Why is he asking so many questions?
"I don't know Ajay," I plead with him to stop.
"I wake up to find you gone, I get a phone call telling me you've been in an accident and to be totally honest with you I didn't really care," it hurts, his words hurt, "I don't know you anymore!" With that he storms out of the room, the door smacking against the doorframe the blind rattling again.