32 -Abandoned

chap 32

I was born into a family of geniuses. Everyday, all I ever did was study. I rarely ever saw my parents and when I did, it would usually be at a distance. I was named Scarlett for my hair which looked like a deep red when I was born. Later, they realised that it was actually pink. I remember how we would often have guests over, they were always adults. More often than not, they would be in suits of green or blue. My family were inventors. They built weapons  and were in return paid money for others to use their weapons.

I had siblings though I was the youngest. I had two older brothers whom I was told strictly not to get in the way of their research. As such, I rarely saw them but I was fine. In my own world of books, calculations and facts, I thought that it was far better than the word games adults played. I never really talked to anyone, the maids would avoid me. Due to this, I had little to none human interaction.

When I was seven, I met another child. It was the first time that I had seen a child accompany an adult here. I was curious so I observed them. I was sitting beside the window when they had pulled into the driveway. So when I saw the boy enter the house, I went to the second floor where it was overlooking the entrance. I had no thought for concealing myself as I stared at them. My mother had gone to welcome them and had told the maid to bring the child to another room. That was when they realised I was there.

"Scarlett, what do you think you're doing?" My mother's voice boomed across the room.

Not being used to talked to, I kept my mouth shut and took out a device which allowed what I typed to be formed into speech. 

"I was observing, mother." The robotic voice came.

She crossed her arms as if in annoyance. "Very well, why don't you come down and introduce yourself? At the same time, you can accompany Evan while he stays here." It wasn't a question. Evan would have to be the boy's name. I soon joined them.

" My name is Scarlett. I am the youngest of the Toshihide siblings. It is nice to meet you." My device creaked out.

"Well, it is very nice to meet you too Scarlett. Now, Evan, join the girl and go play." The man said. The look in my mother's eye's told me one thing and one thing only, to leave this area.

I backed away from the sound of the adults word games with Evan in tow. How do I observe him if I'm supposed to accompany him? I was walking towards the library. Once there, I took down several books describing human behaviour but I couldn't find what I wanted. I was ready to head to the computer and search some more when a hand grabbed me. I turned around. Evan. It was the boy. I had forgotten about him.

"Where are you going? I don't want to spend hours in such a boring place. You were told to play  with me right? Then hurry up and play with me." Play? In psychology and ethology, play is a range of vvoluntary, intrinsically mmotivated activities normally associated with recreational pleasure and enjoyment. Play is most commonly associated with children and their juvenile-level activities, but play can also be a useful adult activity, and occurs among other higher-functioning animals as well. Does he want to play? How? And why?

I began to type on the device. "How? How does one play? And why? Why would you want to play?"

Then he looked at me oddly, almost as if in disbelief. Without a word, he grabbed my hand and ran outside of the house. Since I had no exercise, I could barely keep up and he was more or less dragging me by the time we exited the house. The sun was bright and I blinked in an effort to help my eyes adapt to the sudden change in light. I was tired and panting. I decided that I didn't like to run as it left me breathless. 

"You. Have you never played before? In fact, have you ever left this house?" Evan was not even panting, he looked just fine and had even reached out to help me out. I held the device and prepared to reply when it was swept out of my hands. The next thing I knew it was in his hands. I didn't even see it coming. That speed was amazing.