Part 16

Jade POV

About 3 weeks passed without any significant change happening. Jamie was kept in his cell, I was kept in the room with David. The doctor appeared regularly, knocked me out with the silver solution injected via my cuffs and continued her tests. So far she hadn't taken me apart again, but I had been burnt, injured and poisoned with various substances. Whilst this remained terrible and disturbing, I had noticed something very interesting.

Each time the needle entered my skin, I counted the seconds until I was unconscious. The time was getting longer. Only by a little, maybe a second each time, but definitely longer. Was I building up some resistance to the nasty silver solution? It was hard to tell.

I couldn't tell if my wrists and ankles still burned as much as they originally did, or whether I was just getting used to the pain. Something else was improving too. My connection with Jamie grew stronger all the time. He was able to talk for longer now, and it was much easier to share information. I wasn't sure exactly how it worked; it was not something I had ever realised was possible at such a distance. Neither of us had managed it with anyone else. All I knew was that it kept me sane throughout the slow starvation and the doctor's torture.

I wished I could say the same for David. I didn't speak to him much. It wasn't through a lack of trying, but whatever I did, he managed to twist it around somehow. I had discovered that he was still angry about a lot of things. This wasn't helped at all by near insanity and extreme pain. A lot of it was what I considered petty. He was mad about me and Jamie, he was mad about me leaving for Norfolk without him and most of all he was still angry about the whole kiss incident. I felt a little guilty because I had almost forgotten about it, focused on Jamie as I was.

"I am sorry David!" I snapped, sick of the fact that we were having the argument for the seventh time that day. "I just don't feel that way towards you. You are a great friend, but it's not meant to be." Or at least he was a great friend, before things became complicated.

I hadn't told him about being able to communicate with Jamie, I couldn't risk him blurting it out in one of his crazed moments and putting Jamie in danger.

We were interrupted by the door opening. I signed, knowing what was coming. The scent of human filled the room as I turned my head to look at the approaching doctor. David snarled across the room. She ignored him, focusing on me. I was still her newest toy; she'd already had plenty of time with David uninterrupted. She pressed the remote and I screamed.

I woke up back on the operating table. I hadn't been unconscious for long this time, the doctor was across the room messing with some equipment. O'connor, the assistant was next to me, preparing some shiny instruments. He looked at my open eyes in surprise.

In the back of my mind I felt a stirring of my old power, brought on by my hunger and desperation. I seized it without thinking.

"Come closer." I whispered, staring into his eyes, pushing my will onto his. His expression went blank as he stepped towards me and lent down. "Closer..." I purred.

Suddenly he was within range. My fangs were in his neck before anyone could realise what was happening. He let out a cry as I lost my grip on his mind, too absorbed by his blood. Then he moaned and collapsed against me, lost in the endorphins and shock. His blood was like heaven after the limited, weak animal blood I had been kept alive on.

He was taken away too quickly, yanked back roughly by the collar by an outraged Dr White. I snarled in outrage, snapping at her, struggling against the restraints.

"Code Red!" She shouted, causing guards to run into the room. I felt bullets hit me in several places. I let out a scream of outrage but the world was going fuzzy again. People were shouting everywhere... then blackness.

*

The sound of something small and metal dropping to the floor awoke me. Blearily I looked around to find that I was back in the cell with David. Something cool and wet trickled down the side of my face, before a flash of silver fell past my eye and there was another clink on the floor. My body was pushing the silver bullets out.

"I've never seen anyone get shot in the head before." David declared, "It doesn't look very fun."

I hissed in anger, ignoring him. Stupid human with their stupid guns! Why did they have to invent them?

"Is anyone in there?" David asked, "Or did you lose some important brain matter in the process?"

I blinked, "I think I'm fine."

"Well that's interesting." He muttered.

"Jade!"

The sudden voice shouting in my head made me flinch. "Jamie," I realised.

"How long was I out?" I asked David.

"About a day and a half." He answered.

"A day and a half! I'm sorry." I thought to Jamie, running through the events in my head. "I got carried away."

"They shot you in the head!" I felt his fear pierce through his relief that I was alive.

"I'm ok; I don't think it left any lasting damage." I tried to reassure him.

"I could have lost you." Was all he could think, overwhelming agony at the thought rushing into my mind.

"You didn't, I'm ok." I tried to soothe him. Abruptly I realised that David was talking to me.

"What?" I asked out loud.

He frowned at me for a moment. "Are you sure you're ok? I was just saying that they have stopped bringing blood. They should have come 2 hours ago."

They had stopped bringing blood. It must be my fault. Either it was some sort of punishment or they had decided it was too dangerous to come near me again. This was not good.

"We have to get you out of here," thought Jamie.

I could only agree with him. My sanity was hanging on by its last threats as it was, in the coming hours and days I don't know what I would become.