Chapter 15

Kael arrived at the arena after Coen and Berit, but only had time to say a quick "hello" before the other boys arrived. Ukiru wasted no time and immediately began the morning's exercises. Just as Kael suspected, Donagh, Horace, and Rainer looked as though they hadn't slept at all. During one of the seated positions, Horace actually fell asleep, much to the amusement of the entire group. Ukiru, however, took exception and considered the lack of attention a lack of respect.

"I understand that all of you will need time to adjust to your new life, but I will not tolerate this behavior," he directed to the whole group. "All of you arrived at your rooms in plenty of time to get a sufficient amount of sleep. It would be wise for you to use that time for its intended purpose."

Kael's heart beat loudly in his chest, and he felt his face get hot. It's not fair that the rest of us are scolded for their mistake! He kept his mouth shut, wanting Ukiru's anger to pass as quickly as possible.

When they resumed their exercises, Rainer kept his face toward the ground, trying to hide his snickering mouth.

~

Each day of the week continued in the same fashion, with Ukiru familiarizing the children with the daily routines. He explained that their real training wouldn't begin until the start of the following week. In the meantime, the boys had fun acquainting themselves with their surroundings. For six days, they repeated the pattern until the morning meal of the seventh day.

Ukiru sat at the head of the dining table and spoke to the group. "The seventh day of the week is free time for you to do whatever you wish. We will have meditation and the morning meal, after which you may retire to your room or spend your time with all manner of activities. There are games that can be played indoors or out. We have a library of books from which you may read. The day is yours to spend as you wish. We will all assemble here in the dining hall at sundown for the evening meal, and the rest of the evening will be unscheduled as well. The seventh day is a day of worship unto the All Powerful and will not be a day for learning anything except to hear his voice speaking quietly to us. I hope that you will spend some of the time in meditation."

The other boys hardly paid any attention to his last words. Everyone was so excited to have a free day that they immediately began to chatter amongst themselves.

Kael, however, was intrigued. His voice speaking quietly to us? Do gods speak at all? Ukiru kept talking of this All Powerful as if he were a person, but the gods that Kael learned about in Bastul were just statues. Sometimes people talked to them, but they never talked back. Sometimes people left food offerings or lit candles for them, but they never gave anything back.

These thoughts quickly gave way to relief at having a break from the routine. When he lived in Bastul, he would study in the morning and have every afternoon as play time. He and Ajani would explore, hunt, fish, and occasionally wander into the city, where they were not supposed to go. Kael was told that his father's position made it dangerous for him to travel into the city without a guard. Of course, guards only inhibited the boys from doing many of the things they would normally do to occupy their time.

Ukiru's loud but calm voice brought them all back to attention. "Settle down, everyone." When the children were quiet, he continued. "Your servant will show you what games we have for you to play. Now that the meal is finished, you are free to go."

The table exploded into a frenzy of activity. Most of the boys jumped out of their chairs and rushed out of the room as quickly as possible. Berit rose slowly from his seat, pushed his chair in to the table, and left in the direction of the library. Kael remained seated at the table with Ukiru.