Chapter 13

Saba had been lying low for a while, staying with a friend who lived just outside of the city limits. He had been trying to keep busy, but it wasn't working well. How could he leave Maeryn alone with that murderer? She wasn't safe, and he felt it was his duty to keep an eye on her, which was why he found himself walking along the busy streets of Bastul once again. He was trying to keep close to the most crowded areas, working his way up the hill toward his former home, hoping to blend in and thereby escape the eyes of the soldiers patrolling the city.

The market district was teeming with merchants hawking their goods. Saba had to run off a particular child who wouldn't take "no" for an answer. He was trying to sell a few small fish that he said he had just caught in the bay. It was obvious that the child was working for someone else, probably only receiving a small percentage, if anything, for the sale of the fish. Eventually the child returned, following at a distance. Saba moved out of the main flow of people and over to a cart of figs. The fig merchant scurried quickly around the cart to meet this new customer.

"Fine day, isn't it?" he said in a shrill voice, easily piercing the cacophony of the surrounding crowds.

"Yes, it is. I'll have one, please."

"Only one? Why, a man of your size could not be filled by such a small—"

"I'll have one," he stated firmly, not wishing to barter.

"Fine ... fine. Here you go. It just seems a shame for a man like you—"

Saba dropped a coin on the cart and took the fig, leaving before the man had finished his sentence. He walked back into the crowd and continued along the street, waiting for the boy to approach him again. He wasn't about to buy the fish when the money would be taken from the boy anyway, but the child could eat a fig and his master wouldn't even know. After a few minutes, Saba felt a tug on the back of his sleeve. He spun around quickly, already knowing what he would say to the child.

But instead of the boy, Saba found a group of soldiers with their spears lowered, spreading out to prepare for a confrontation. The one who had tugged on his tunic stood close, his spear raised in confidence that the situation would be resolved verbally.

"Sergeant," Saba said, not at all surprised by the situation.

"Come with me," the soldier commanded.

Saba was escorted to an alley between two rows of merchant shops. There were eleven soldiers in all, including the sergeant. Five guarded the front of the alley and five guarded the back.

The sergeant kept close to Saba and spoke in a hushed voice. "I have orders to kill you on sight." He looked up and down the alley to make sure that no one was listening. "Since you are a friend of Adair's, I will only ignore my orders once. And I do so at my own peril. Leave this city, or I will be forced to kill you."

Saba nodded. "Thank you, sir, for your kindness. I will do as you say."

"You'd better," the soldier warned. As he walked out to the street the others fell in behind him.

Saba waited a while in the alley to catch his breath. There was obviously no way to keep in contact with Maeryn, and the guard was very clear about what would happen if he tried. He had no choice but to leave. Someday, perhaps, he would return.

Maeryn, you'll have to fend for yourself. As the thought came to him, it was accompanied by doubt. Maeryn was strong but used to having others care for her.

* * * *

Kael's body recoiled, anticipating danger. His breaths were shallow and rapid. His eyes darted back and forth, searching for the threat. Suddenly, he remembered he was no longer in the jail, and a wave of relief washed over him.