Chapter 11

Saba walked quickly down the dark hallway toward Lemus' study. The guard standing at attention outside the door straightened up as Saba neared. It seemed odd that the usual faces were not seen anymore in the mansion, having been replaced immediately as Lemus took control. But that was the least of Saba's worries on this night.

"I need to speak with him," he told the guard.

The soldier nodded and opened the door behind him, disappearing momentarily. His muffled voice could be heard through the door. There was a pause before he came back and tilted his head toward the room. Saba pushed the door open and strode into the room, his temper already rising.

Lemus sat at his desk, the glow of candlelight illuminating piles of parchment in front of him. Some were stacked neatly. Others were spread out haphazardly, like a strong wind had blown through the room. Lemus lifted his head and motioned for Saba to come closer. "Come in. I've been meaning to have a few words with you."

Saba walked to the front of the desk, ignoring the few empty chairs along the wall. "I want to talk with you about Kael."

"Yes. I'm sure you do," Lemus replied, sitting back in his chair. "My guards at the jail tell me that you have been over there, bothering them constantly to let the boy go."

"Yes. Of course I have. How could I do anything different?"

Lemus smiled at this. "Well, I have a few ideas. To start with, you will stay away from the jail. The boy attacked me and his actions were punishable by death. He has already been executed, so you are wasting your time. I understand that you were his tutor?"

"Am his tutor," Saba corrected.

Lemus laughed. "If you are indeed smart enough to call yourself anyone's tutor, then you should know that when someone is dead, it is no longer appropriate to speak of them in the present."

Saba gave no reaction.

"Well, isn't that interesting? A teacher with nothing to say. That's good. You're finally starting to learn." Lemus paused while he scooted his chair back and stood up to look Saba in the eyes. "I do have something to say to you, however. Your room has been emptied and its contents packed in boxes. I have provided a cart and a mule to carry your belongings. You will find everything waiting for you in the courtyard. I suggest that you take advantage of my generosity and leave the city tonight. I understand that you have many connections in the surrounding regions; I'm sure that you will find a place to stay."

"You have no right," Saba replied, his voice suddenly rising above the normal conversational tone. "This has been my home, and these people my family, long before anyone had ever heard of you—"

"I have every right," Lemus shot back, interrupting. "This is my home now, and I do not wish to take care of old men who have the ability to take care of themselves. But more importantly, I no longer require the services of a tutor."

Saba opened his mouth to say more, but Lemus kept talking.

"If you've heard nothing of what I have said this night, hear this. My soldiers have orders to kill you on sight if you are ever found in this city again. Take your belongings and leave. This is your last chance!"

Saba stood motionless for a moment, glaring into the eyes of Lemus. He had so many things to say, but none of them would accomplish anything except to risk his own life. After a few seconds, he spun on his heels and stormed out of the room. As he walked down the hallway, he overheard Lemus' voice.

"No more visitors."

"Yes, my lord," the guard replied.

* * * *