Chapter 4

The carriage bounced and creaked in response to the stone road underneath as Adair watched the scenery pass by the window. To the east, rolling meadows stretched from the road to the mountains, the land rising sharply as it drew close to the foothills. Occasionally, a tall row of trees would divide the land, designating a property boundary. To the west, the cobblestone road gave way to patches of grass clinging stubbornly to the shoulder, which ended abruptly at a steep cliff. The ocean, which was hundreds of feet below only minutes ago, was getting closer now as the carriage descended into a valley. After a few minutes, the road ended at a sandy beach and the carriage came to a halt. Adair quickly opened the door and stepped out, happy to be rid of this method of transportation. He preferred to ride a horse, but because of his position, he was expected to do otherwise for safety reasons.

A hundred yards away, at the opposite side of the beach, was a wooden guard tower clinging to the side of the cliff like a vine in one of the surrounding vineyards. It reached from the beach floor all the way to a lookout perch fifty feet above the top of the cliff. Two of the four soldiers that had been accompanying Adair rode up and began to dismount, intending to follow him inside.

"I'll return shortly," he said to them.

They each glanced at the other before looking back to Adair, conceding with a nod.

Adair turned away and walked toward the guard tower, leaving the men with the carriage. It took him several minutes to reach the lower entry. Two guards on either side of the door tipped their spears in salute. They were otherwise motionless, staring straight ahead without making eye contact. Adair never ceased to be impressed at the discipline of his soldiers, especially those who were stationed at posts far away from the scrutiny of their colonel. It was a small sign, but it confirmed his success at ruling the city. He smiled as he walked past the soldiers and through the stone archway. This room was one of many making up the lower level, serving as an entrance to the enormous staircase carved into the rock. Around the other side of the building, facing the ocean, were other rooms for supplies and stables for the mounted patrolmen who rode up and down the coast at scheduled intervals. But this one was completely empty. Adair waited for a few seconds, studying the construction of the building as a matter of habit.

To his left, a door opened and another soldier walked through. As soon as he noticed Adair, his casual demeanor disappeared. "Colonel, it is a pleasure to have your company." The man bowed his head in respect. "How may I be of assistance?"

"I am here to see your lieutenant."

The soldier motioned to the stairs. "He is up above in the observatory. I will go fetch him for you."

"No, that won't be necessary. I don't wish to keep him from his work. Just take me to him."

"Certainly," the man bowed. "Please follow me."

He led Adair up the stairs, which switched back and forth across the cliff face. The soldier climbed slowly out of courtesy for his superior. After five floors they reached the observatory, which stood even with the top of the cliff. The stairs ended at a spacious room with a balcony overlooking the ocean. From there, a ladder extended through the ceiling, leading to the upper lookout. The lieutenant was standing at the railing of the balcony, looking north along the beach. He was dressed much the same as Adair, with a hammered metal cuirass and a short red cloak gathered at one shoulder by a silver torc. Though he was younger than Adair, he looked ten years older. His sand-colored hair was starting to thin on the top, and his weathered skin had seen too many years of sun. Adair walked up behind him, but the lieutenant was deep in thought and didn't notice.

"Lieutenant," Adair said softly.

The man turned his head, startled. It took him only a second to realize who was standing before him and he quickly bowed. "Colonel ... what brings you from the city?" he asked, unable to hide his nervousness.