Chapter 20

The Bayou
Mireya had decided to go to the bayou to visit Hayley and the others. And of course, as soon as she comes to the shack that resided Hayley and Eve, her contractions started.

Mireya laid back slightly on the bed, following Eve's breathing instructions as she's being prepared to give birth. Mireya caresses her pregnant belly gently.

"That's it. Inhale and release," Eve instructed, calmly.

"I guess this means no epidural?"

"You sure she can't do this thing in, say, a hospital? The place with the doctors and the drugs?" Hayley asked. Mireya nods her head in agreement.

"Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you were born. Stop worrying," Eve reassured them.

"No offense Eve, but you're forgetting something," Mireya pointsto herself. "Not a werewolf. Human." She sits up a bit looking at Eve. "To be honest, I don't even know what it's like to be a mother."

"Trust me," Eve gives Mireya a gentle smile. "When the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do."

"I hope so," Mireya mutters.

"As fun as it is to image Klaus changing dirty diapers, I'm pretty sure that you'll be doing this alone." Mireya sends a funny glare towards Hayley.

"I somehow doubt that," Eve says.

Mireya, Hayley and Eve shared an amused smile before turning their attention to the door when footsteps are heard. Soon enough, Elijah enters.

"Pardon the interruption. I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising."

Hayley and Eve share a look.

Later, Elijah meets up with Jackson and Oliver, along with Eve, Hayley and Mireya.

"You're making a grave mistake," Elijah warns them.

"So, you're just worried about us. Is that it?" Oliver questions.

"Look, Elijah," Jackson starts, getting everyones attention. "We know all about your brother's reputation, but if there is even a chance that these rings can help us take control of our curse--"

Oliver interrupts him. "--Our gift--"

"--Then, honestly, we don't care what he's really after. Won't have to," Jackson finishes.

"I see," Elijah said. "There are those in the Quarter who will consider this a great provocation."

"Apparently, most of them see us breathing the same way," Oliver tells him.

Elijah looks to Hayley. "You signed a pledge, and you looked me in the eye as you did so."

"We don't want a fight, Elijah. We just want a better life," Hayley tells him.

"Allegiance with my brother will guarantee you anything but that."

They hear the sound of a motorbike approaching, and cut their argument short to go see who it is.

"What the hell?" Jackson walks out, everyone followed behind, including Kerron and Alec.

Outside, a man on a motorbike rides into the encampment and stops as the group approach him. Kerron stood closely to Mireya.

"Which one of you is in charge?" The man asked.

"Who's asking?" Jackson countered.

Elijah notices something off about the man, and reflexively tackles him, just as the motorbike explodes. Kerron grabs Mireya and vamp-speeds behind a tree and shields her with his body as everyone else is thrown backwards in the blast.