Chapter 10

The Abbatoir/Newly-Returned Mikaelson Compound
Klaus has set up a dinner table is set up in the courtyard to celebrate his return to leadership over New Orleans and his repossession of the Abbatoir compound from Marcel. The vampire army, including Marcel and his closest friends, are seated around the table, and Klaus and Mireya are seated at each end. Hayley was seated at the corner of the table, next to Mireya. Klaus calls for everyone's attention to give a speech by tapping his glass with his fork.

"Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift: immortality," Klaus stands, raising his glass. "After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows do diminish with time. But, as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine." Klaus gestures toward a group of waiters and waitresses to have them join them at the table, one for each guest. Insatiable need, exquisite pain..."

Mireya watched, horrified, as the servants slit their wrists with knives, filling the cups with blood for the vampires.

"Our victories, and our defeats." Klaus looks at Marcel. Then raises his glass in a toast to the others. "...To my city, my home again. May the blood never cease to flow..."

Marcel raises his glass. "...and the party never end!"

"To New Orleans."

"To New Orleans!"

"New Orleans." Everyone chorused before drinking their drinks.

"I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took and built for this true community of vampires."

"What about her?" Diego points to Hayley and Mireya at the far end of the table. "The wolf and the blood bad."

Klaus' jaws clenched. "Had you'd let me finish, Diego, you would know that there is, of course, one further matter I would like to address." He walks over to the other end of the table where the girls sat. "As many of you know, the girl is carrying my child. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect. However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumor that I intend to use the blood of our child," Klaus rests a comforting hand on Mireya's shoulder as she nervously takes a drink of water. "...to create hybrids. I assure you I do not."

"Father of the year." Hayley said with a sarcastic smile.

"It appears I will have to earn your trust

"It appears I will have to earn your trust." Klaus stated, mildly frustrated at Hayley's comment. "Very well. We'll eliminate the root of your anxiety. You see, how I can I sire any hybrids if there are no more werewolves alive in the Bayou to turn?

"What?" Hayley stands up, horrified. "Klaus, no!"

"So-" Klaus ignores Hayley, "- eat, drink, and be merry. And, tomorrow, I suggest you have yourselves a little wolf hunt. Go ahead, have fun. Kill them all!"