1:54pm

Lockdown

1:54pm

I pushed that thought out of my mind. My best friend would not hide anything from me.

I looked at Nickson. He switched the phone off so we couldn't see each other. To save power and light, I guess.

"You tried to go through the windows, huh?" he chuckled lightly. "Thought no one would see you."

I shrugged, embarrassed. My head started to spin. I guess my shoulder wasn't all that healed yet.

"Yeah, they've been patrolling the windows," he said. His voice lowered. "It's so sick."

"What?" I asked. But then I stopped and sat down quickly as my head begun to spin faster.

"Are you all right?" Nickson asked quickly and knelt down with me, putting a hand on my good shoulder. I nodded but realized he couldn't see me in the dark. 

"I'm fine," I said. I took a breath. "Do you think... Maybe... Is there anything to eat?" I realized how hungry I was. I did know only over an hour had passed ever since everything started and how hungry and thirsty I was. Especially after getting shot in the shoulder.

I heard Nickson standing up. I heard his sneakers softly treadig against the linolem floor. I heard some squeaking, like the kind of squeaking you hear when the floor is wet.

Probably wet with my blood.

And then he came back. I felt him kneeling in front of me. "Hold out your hand," he said. I hesitated. "It's nothing scary," he said in a teasing voice. It reminded me of those pointless games we'd play over the summer when we were little. Each of us would run off and find an item and have the other close their eyes and hold out their hands, hoping the item wasn't slimy or alive...

I trusted Nickson. He'd never drop something in my hand that was scary. 

I held out my hand.

And then something pounded against it. Nickson had dropped it.

I reached out with my other hand and ravenously felt it, trying to figure out what it was.

It was a stick of gum. Or at least, felt like one. I brought it up to my nose. Minty.

Not what I wanted, but the sugar would be good for me.

"Thanks," I said as I unwrapped it. I tore it in half and felt around for Nickson's hand. "Want some?" I asked.

He didn't reply.

"Nickson," I repeated. "Want some?"

Finally I heard him. "Oh," he replied. It sounded like he was faraway, close by the door. "No, I'm good. You go ahead."

I shrugged and popped the first half in my mouth. I stuffed the other half in my pocket in case I'd need it. While I chewed, I watched Nickson turn on the phone and saw him standing by the door. He was sitting on the counter, swaying his feet back and forth, staring at the ground.

I stood and walked over to him. I didn't have enough strength to pull myself onto the counter, so I just leaned against it and stayed next to him. "What now?" I asked.

He shut off the phone, letting out a breath. "Robin, I really don't know. They're patrolling out there, so if they catch us they 'll shoot us."

"But- but- what about the police or something?" I asked. "Hasn't anyone heard the gunshots or hasn't any parent come or something or someone from the outside? Wouldn't they have noticed no one was picking up the phones or no kid was replying to texts or calls?"

"I don't know," Nickson replied plainly. And I knew he was telling the truth.

"So should we just wait here?" I asked.

"It would be the best thing to do," he replied. "I don't think any of them will be coming in here any time soon. After all," the phone turned on and he looked at me. "They don't want to be by the bodies."

The bodies. I didn't want to think of them right now. I nodded. "Right," I said. I forced a smile. "You're right, Miles." As always.