12:46pm

Lockdown

12:46pm

I wanted to throw up.

Everything was going wrong. The shooting. Deaths of everyone, my classmates and Mrs. Thicket. Someone coming in the classroom. No dial tone. No Wifi.

And now... No power.

The class wasn't that dark. There were no windows but the doorway was open and some sunlight streamed in from the windows down the hall. But in case you haven't noticed, or I haven't said, I was on the third floor of the school.

And now the lights went out. That means no power. And no power means nothing. I'd have to get out... Get out... How would I get out? 

There were obviously crazy minded whacko people out there with guns shooting anyone in sight. And with no Internet connection or any contact with the outside, I'd have to sneak out or something.

I wasn't stupid. I wouldn't jump windows. There was cement. Concrete below. I'd die with my head cracked open. Would I rather get shot in the head?

But obviously whoever was in the school and had guns knew how to play this right. They knew what to cut and what things to turn off. To ensure no one would escape.

Well, maybe I could get out. I could run from class to class and hide until the coast was clear till the next class. The stairs would be hard to go down. Someone would obviously see me either way. Unless I slid down the railings super fast and darted behind a trash can or something.

In the dark.

I let out a breath. I was back under Mrs. Thicket's desk. I had her iPad, debating if I should throw it at the wall or start typing in random passwords. Not that it mattered anyway. Obviously there was no Wifi so I couldn't do anything involving the Internet. And with phone lines disconnected I couldn't call anyone. And with the power out that was especially bad for my vision. Since I needed light to see better. My glasses and cane helped some but really it was my eyeballs that would help me.

You see, I wasn't blind. When I was little I fooled around with a new flashlight and shined it in my eyes for fun. Then later everything became fuzzy and soon my vision kind of turned into a blob of colors. When I went to the eye doctor they said that I'd kind of burned out my pupils (still today I don't know if that was a joke) and I'd have to wear these sunglasses  like things and use a cane. Ever since then my vision has improved a bit but without my glasses everything is a blob of colors. But lighting helps me see better since it shines light on things. In the dark, it was like I was really blind.

Like now. But the iPad was shining some light for me.

Anyway, I tried to figure out an escape plan. Technically I didn't know who these shooters were. And plus I didn't know how many there were. Maybe there was only one.

Sure.

But really, would some of them be wandering around up here in the dark picking around for survivors? Hopefully not. Didn't they have better things to do?

Well, what happened in school shootings? Shooters came and went, I guess. Shot everyone and left. I hadn't heard of any school/any shootings that had a hostage situation. Why would this situation be any different?

I slowly peeked out from under the desk. I stuffed the iPad under my belt and grabbed my cane. Slowly, I stood up. Stepped over Mrs. Thicket's body. But I stopped and looked at her. Her eyes were half open, her mouth half open too. She had a shocked and bewildered look on her face.

And she was my teacher. She was dead.

I stifled back a sob and a pile of vomit and nodded quickly, though I'm not sure at who and turned to the doorway. Okay. It was time for me to try to escape. I couldn't stay here forever.

But I couldn't even make one step.

Someone grabbed my ankle.