3:11pm

Lockdown

3:11pm

Kurt swore.

"What? What?" I asked, looking back from the words to him.

The words were written in red and it looked like it was some sort of Sharpie. It was written on the board and then someone wrote over it with white board marker. Clever, except the words were kind of spooky. Seeing that we were in a dark school with shooters and bodies and fires.

Kurt took a step back. He looked to the door. And then he ran towards where we were sitting and grabbed his gun. He looked around like someone was watching. Technically only I was.

"What?" I repeated, running my hands over the words. Could someone have written this before the shooting started? Or during? Or just now, perhaps?

Kurt kept swearing. Under his breath, quick and fast. He sounded stressed. He looked at me.

"We gotta get out of here," he said.

"I know," I said. "I've known that ever since I heard the first gunshot."

And then a gunshot murdered my ears.

Kurt took a step back.

He dropped the gun.

I looked at the door. I realized the doorknob was slowly jiggling open. And then I saw the small, round hole.

I looked back at Kurt. He took another step back, then another. Then he fell back against the desks, slowly lowering to the floor. His eyes were wide, his mouth agape. He looked confused yet shocked.

And then a pool of red started to spread out around his chest.

"No!" I screamed, seeing that it was the only thing I found appropriate to say.

I ran to Kurt, trying to see if I could do anything. His watery eyes looked up at me. He held out his hand. He pointed it towards the gun. With a shaky voice, he choked out, "GO."

"Why?" I cried. "They're gonna kill us anyway!" my mind was racing. Who had just shot him? Was it these people? Why?

But his hand dropped. His head dropped to his side. His eyes fluttered open then closed, his voice trying to say something.

I didn't get to see if he was really dead because the door burst open from behind me.