Chapter Five

Kate gave a closed mouth annoyed grin as her response. "Hi." She said after a moment. "Where's Adam?"

He tilted his head towards a closed door that was off to the side. He led her towards the door, but before opening it, he paused. Kate sighed and slanting her head upwards. "What?" She demanded on her last nerve with Danny. She crossed her thin arms over her chest with an eye roll to match.

With a rare stroke of kindness- or bitterness- Danny told Kate of Tess's obsession with Adam. He told her of their on-again off-again acidic relationship and how their relationship was 'sticky' at best.

Kate looked at Danny as if he was a victim to a rare disease; with curiosity but also danger. But finally that looked faded away into a small smile, which in turn formed into a hearty laugh. "That's alright, I have a boyfriend." She said with a cocky smile before snapping the door open and walking downstairs.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Danny's face melt into a state of confusion.  She smiled to herself in fake triumph. She wanted to believe that Danny was joking, but she knew what Adam could be like. She knew what he really was like. He was charming, handsome and seductive so there was a chance she was his 'mistress'.  But she shook that horrid thought out of her head, deciding to enjoy herself while she was here and if it was true then she had Danny as a backup plan.

Danny followed Kate down the stairs with a foul smirk on his face.

Kate walked down the stairs to a furnished, TV and all, cellar and took in the sight with no shock and her expectations held true for this party.

Kate felt the bass of the music, thumping in her chest and penetrating her ears.  A thin cloud of smoke, seeped into her eyes, making them water and blurred her crystal vision into specks of fog. She could see the outline of dancers, huddled closely together. Their bodies seemed to spill into one another as they twisted to the music's constant low hammer.  A few empty bottles and cans were tossed about the room but more were stored in the corner, awaiting their opening.

Kate stayed on the outskirts of the teenagers, scanning the jumble for Adam. Finally she found him in a close embrace with a light brunette haired girl who seemed all too happy to have her arms around Adams neck. He seemed content with his hands wrapped around her thin waist as they moved in sync.

Kate's heart picked up and her breathing become curt. Her mouth hung open as she stared at something she could hardly believe.  So what Danny said was incredibly and unfortunately true.  Kate stood frozen by the edge of the stairs, not knowing how to react and what to do.

But Adam soon noticed Kate and in a flash left the girl to fend for herself among the crowd. He bent down to give her a kiss but she turned her head so that his lips met her cheek. Adam pulled away with a questioning look upon his face. "Something wrong?" He asked slowly, his voice was filled with confusion. When Kate said nothing in reply, he put his hands on her folded arms, lightly tugging her closer. But she back away. "Babe you-" He stopped for a moment to gather his words and then started again, "You-"

But Kate interrupted him before he had the chance to really start. "Who's that?"She demanded through clenched teeth and referred to the girl Adam was with before.

Right at that precise moment, the girl walked up to Adam and slipped a finger in the belt loops of his pants. "Come on." She pleaded.

Adam whacked her hand away and sternly said; "Not now, Tess." But she was persistent. "Tess, leave." He demanded loudly to be heard over the music.

But Tess stayed.

Kate sensed Danny's hovering presence behind her and his hot breath on her neck as he whispered; "Welcome to the party."