Chapter 42

Manik entered mukti's room first, nandini quietly followed him. Mukti wasn't in the room, just as manik moved forward to call out for her, he heard the sound of shower. Manik deliberated for a moment, should he knock? Or should he wait for her to come out on her own? Getting confused, he turned to nandini , to seek her opinion. Being the impatient and impulsive soul, he didn't pay much attention to her expressions, rather he looked inquisitively, as if asking what should i do? Nandini quickly blinked away the tears threatening to drop out of her eyes, as she noticed manik turning towards her. She was hurt by his behaviour, but she wouldn't show him.
She understood what manik wanted , so without speaking a word , she crossed him and reached to knock on washroom's door "mukti! Mukti???" nandini called but got no reply.

"mukti tum theek ho??" nandini asked to get an answer but instead of mukti , manik spoke angrily "of course, wo theek nhi hai!...what kind of stupid question is that?" manik spoke over her back but nandini did not turn to face him. She knew she would speak rashly if she opened her mouth to talk to him now. One of them has to be sane now. Nandini's silence irked him, "nandini!! " manik shouted but nandini didn't budge. Inside the washroom, mukti was crying her heart out under the shower. She turned off the shower only when tears stopped coming out and her mind had decided her course of action. But as soon as she turned the shower off , she could hear manik shouting on nandini. It is then mukti realised that her bhai and bhabhi were fighting because of her. She quickly dressed up and came out of the washroom. She saw manik looking fiercely at nandini, while nandini had her eyes fixed to the ground. Mukti felt guilty that manik and nandini have got entangled in her issues. She composed herself trying to look and behave normally and then spoke, trying to lighten the mood "bhai, what is this ? its my birthday and you two are fighting?? Agar jhagra hi karna tha toh apne room me ja k karo..." manik cut her words in middle and instantly took her in a bear hug "mukti tu thk h?? Kya hua tha, mujhe bata..why were you upset??" manik asked. Mukti had controlled her tears but again the warm hug from manik triggered the tears and she bit her lips to control the sob. Manik broke the hug to look at her face but mukti looked down to hide the tears.

 Manik broke the hug to look at her  face but mukti looked down to hide the tears

"mukti...bachha..plz mujhe bata kya hua?? Abhimanyu ne kuch kaha tujhse? Usne kuch kiya??" manik finally asked and mukti looked shocked at him. She thought it means everyone knows about abhimanyu??

Her eyes next looked at nandini and to mukti's surprise even nandini didn't look surprised. Even nandini knows...and bhai is ok with it? Of course , he will be, because he wants everything to be best for me..but it is me who doesn't deserve the best'.

Mukti shook her head "nahi bhai, abhimanyu ne kuch nahi kaha. Aur plz , you remember you had told me once that from now on you would give me space and confidence to take my own decisions, so i request you plz mujhe iss bare mein koi baat ni karni..." mukti straightforwardly spoke taking manik by surprise. Of course he had said that but he had not imagined a situation like this then.

"but...mukti...you are crying..how can i just leave you like that.." manik was feeling helpless. Yet again he had failed to protect his sister from pain!