High School

Blurryface was trembling that night as he tried to sleep. But no matter how much he shook, he couldn't shake what his former principal had said.

As he eventually drifted off to sleep, he hoped that, whatever Cry Baby was doing, something more peaceful was on her mind.

   "Ms. McLarn, please. What do you want me to do? I'll... I'll take summer school. I'll do extra credit." I pleaded quietly after the bell had rang to let me go home.

   "Tyler, I really do understand you. Believe it or not, teachers speak the same language as students. Every time you ask, I am going to respond with the same words, the same rules. Seeing Dr. Wong costs money. He is a certified psychiatrist with a degree, and relies on the payment of families. However, you can also see Mr. Garfield, who, while also being one of our school's physical education teachers, has agreed to be a counselor that children may see as they please, without paying. Now Tyler, I understand you don't see Mr. Garfield a good fit for you, but your parents have stressed that they haven't the money for you to see Dr. Wong. Understood?"

   I clenched my teeth as she explained this. It's true. She says this every single time. I hate it.

   "Please, Ms. McLarn. I don't know if I have a condition, but Mr. Garfield only tells me I'm stressed about finals. I've been getting angry at my friends lately. My family too. I even hit my brother the other day. I need to see Dr. Wong."

   "Tyler, I don't make these rules, you understand. I'd happily send you to Dr. Wong if he would be payed the right money for it. So why don't you go on home and discuss it with your parents? Please, Tyler. I'm sorry."

   I exhaled, thanked her, and exited the classroom. Josh jumped out at me and I screamed in the middle of the crowded hallway.

   "What took you so long, huh? What'd you do this time?" He joked.

   "Very funny." I said and gave a light laugh to show him I was alright. Or at least pretend, for his sake.

   We walked outside and jumped onto the bus.

   We were kinda silent for a bit, until an idea for conversation popped into my head.

   "Aw, hey, you see who's standing over there?" I whispered to Josh.

   "Wher- oh. Edmond, you mean?" He whispered back.

   I nodded.

   "What about him? Other than he's an ass, which we've already established."

   "I got this app. You know those dog whistles that are so high pitched a human usually can't hear them?"

   Josh nodded, a devilish smile on his face, that seemed to make all my worries disappear.

   "Okay. I think I get it. You think he'll hear that from over there?"

   "Oh, I think everybody will hear it."

   I pushed the button to activate the deafening screech noise. There was an immediate reaction, subtle at first. Kids were flicking their ears and looking around a bit. But not much later, everybody was wincing and asking what the noise was. Josh and I were playing along with our own game.

   "Hey, whoever's behind this, turn that the fuck off!" Josh yelled and I laughed.
Then Edmond yelled, "Yeah, I'll beat ya down to the pulp!" I laughed harder. He probably hadn't noticed that it was Josh who was yelling.

   The kids ran off the bus like their lives depended on it. Josh and I were the last ones to exit.

   "See you tomorrow." Josh tried to say, but he couldn't stop laughing.

When I awoke the next morning, I could already tell my mind was toppling, I was unsteady. My day began with me wearing a hoodie and screaming at my mom for no good reason at all. I chose to bike to school instead of taking the morning bus. I didn't even care if Josh was wondering where I was.

   But nonetheless, he was waiting for me outside the school.